New to Blue catfish - What are some tactics I can use?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by JMarrs328, Jan 5, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I recently caught my 1st blue catfish, or atleast I'm pretty sure that's what it was. I could really use some tips for catching them. Locations, baits, etc.
    Thanks alot!! :)

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Depends I guess on if you fish rivers or lakes. Most people around here will agree that freash cut bait is best. Along the way of shad,skip jack,mooneye's and cut carp.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I fish mostly large creeks, and rivers. Speaking of carp, can i use very large carp for cut bait. I have a place where i can catch carp from 30-45 inches long, and weighing over 25lbs. :) ! I don't want to eat them, so it would be nice to have a use for them.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i never used carp for blues but they are pretty good for channels if you filet them, cut into cubes, put in a baggie, and let set out in the sun for a day or so.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I catch big blues doing that same thing except I dont let them sit out. :)

6. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Do you have to remove any of the meat like you would if u were to eat them (gross). Or can i just fillet the whole fish and cut it into cubes?

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just scale them. they have very tough skin and no fish will steal it off your hook. sometimes you gotta cut it off.

8. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    in a river look for a deep hole, but don't expect to much it may take several attempts at different holes to find some descent blues. i fish the missouri river behind a wing dike in a bout a 45 foot deep hole using cut chub. also fish along outside bends in rip-rap this is where dead fish and shad are congregated together, note that this will be fast current. easiest way is to anchor boat to something stationary and cast into the main current it will take your bait into the heart of the rip-rap also many people catch medium sized flatheads doing this. hope this helps. :)

- zach

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    As far as fishing with carp goes. The way I do it is get a pail cut off the carps tail and drain the blood into the pail. Once the fish is done bleeding into the pail I fillet the fish out just like you would a bass or crappie. I leave the scales on the fillet. There is no need to scale the fish. Once that is done I cut the fillets into strips about 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide and how ever fat the fillet is. If it's a big carp say in the 20 pound plus range i will cut the fillet in half length wise sometimes. The blood will keep the chunks of bait from drying out and will also add sent. Fishing on the missouri river i do most of my fishing at night. I like to fish the top side of the dikes catching the fish as they come out onto the flats to feed. I try and target around 4-10 foot of water.

10. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    another thing with leaving scales on the fish is it adds shine and attracts the fish. cutting the carps tail off is a good idea, when we skin cats we do this it takes alot of the muddy taste out of them.

-zach

11. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    I think carp feed on alot of the same thing as shad do cause when i carp fish its 50/50 carp or cat (dough). That might be a good place to start just use different bait. All i use is live bait but i think cut bait will catch more fish. Wish i could help more but i think the conditions down here compared to up there might make my patterns useless to ya. Good luck...and oh ya, if ya have trouble identifying a blue cat or whatever, just post a pic and you will know in a heart beat....these fellers know there stuff!