Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

new to big water

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  catfisherman369 
#1 ·
I'm new to fishing big water for cats most of my time was spent on farm ponds and lakes less than 2 acres. I'm having trouble finding fish on rivers and big lakes. Been to the Green, Ohio, Rough River and didn't have any luck last year. Any suggestions as to what to look for on the banks and under the water?

#7 ·
well if your looking for cats on big water such as the Ohio river ... you will want to look away from the banks .. i only look to the banks to see what type of structure its made of ... chunk rock , gravel, mud , mussel beds , etc... what you see on the bank is usually whats under the water also.

lets take chunk rock for instance,,more than likely the river bottom will be scattered with chunk rock and ledges or drops which cats relate to alot..

i will position my boat at least 50-100 yards from the bank and fish in 35-40 foot of water ,, my magic # is 35 foot . scatter your baits and fish , if you don't get bit in 30 min , pull up your anchor and move down 50 yards and try it again keeping your bait in the scent trail. you should hook up with one,

channel bends is another good spot to target fish, again keeping your baits at 30-40 foot of water..

now spring and early summer you can fish a little shallower but always keep one bait deep, as the summer water starts cooling down in the fall. you can also go bit shallower too

but again 35 ft has always been my magic number

hope this helps you some
steve

#12 ·
this year was slow around owensboro but there is nice fish here my pb came this year at 35 lbs and caught many in the 20 to25 lb range many 15 lbers and less.if you go up river past omu about 3 miles you got a inlet with shad year around in it. what we all need to do is they together and eat and just bull about cat here and what works best around owensboro. there is 4 of us now on here. i no me and jody would show to cut the bull.

#16 ·
Welcome to the Boc friend and good luck on your next trip out...Remember, Fish eat Fish and if ya find baitfish you will find cats not far behind...Remember also that different cats eat different styles of bait, some like live and some like cutbait...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.