new to big water

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by stiff, Feb 20, 2008.

1. stiff

stiff New Member

State:
    Ky
    I'm new to fishing big water for cats most of my time was spent on farm ponds and lakes less than 2 acres. I'm having trouble finding fish on rivers and big lakes. Been to the Green, Ohio, Rough River and didn't have any luck last year. Any suggestions as to what to look for on the banks and under the water?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC from KY!!! Not sure what to tell you, what part of KY you in? I'm sure we have members close to you that may be able to help out.

3. stiff

stiff New Member

State:
    Ky
    I'm from around Owensboro.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Find the baitfish on your fishfinder and you will find the catfish.

6. stiff

stiff New Member

State:
    Ky
    the bait fish will appear as lots of smaller fish on the fish finder, correct?

7. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well if your looking for cats on big water such as the Ohio river ... you will want to look away from the banks .. i only look to the banks to see what type of structure its made of ... chunk rock , gravel, mud , mussel beds , etc... what you see on the bank is usually whats under the water also.

lets take chunk rock for instance,,more than likely the river bottom will be scattered with chunk rock and ledges or drops which cats relate to alot..

i will position my boat at least 50-100 yards from the bank and fish in 35-40 foot of water ,, my magic # is 35 foot . scatter your baits and fish , if you don't get bit in 30 min , pull up your anchor and move down 50 yards and try it again keeping your bait in the scent trail. you should hook up with one,

channel bends is another good spot to target fish, again keeping your baits at 30-40 foot of water..

now spring and early summer you can fish a little shallower but always keep one bait deep, as the summer water starts cooling down in the fall. you can also go bit shallower too

but again 35 ft has always been my magic number

hope this helps you some
    steve

8. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to BOC from Kansas. Have fun and good luck!

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Brian, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.

10. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    welcome to the boc from north carolina..youll find out now that youve asked the question...

11. dkshep502

dkshep502 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome Brian from Shelbyville Ky, check the libery for all the info you should need.:tounge_out:

12. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    this year was slow around owensboro but there is nice fish here my pb came this year at 35 lbs and caught many in the 20 to25 lb range many 15 lbers and less.if you go up river past omu about 3 miles you got a inlet with shad year around in it. what we all need to do is they together and eat and just bull about cat here and what works best around owensboro. there is 4 of us now on here. i no me and jody would show to cut the bull.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Brian.

14. stiff

stiff New Member

State:
    Ky
    Are there any good lakes around Owensboro to go for catfish. A lot of the people I talk to fish mostly for bass and the few that do fish cats fish in smaller lakes.

15. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Welcome to the BOC.:big_smile:

16. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the Boc friend and good luck on your next trip out...Remember, Fish eat Fish and if ya find baitfish you will find cats not far behind...Remember also that different cats eat different styles of bait, some like live and some like cutbait...

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the Boc :0a23: