new to bass fishing.

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by montgomery#1, Feb 11, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    im new to bass fishing and i need some big time help. what do i use for rod bait and any thing else i need to know. and whats eating size for a bass. and what areas do i fish for them. im hoping to catch buckets mouths as well as smallys. ive caught a few small large mouths about 7-8 inches but im getting a pontoon boat this summer so i can be more mobile. any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    there are so many different kinds of lures/baits for bass.

also even more different techniques/tactics!!

a few of my favs are,

Rat-L-Traps (crankbaits)-shad colors

Spinnerbaits 3/8 oz. chartuese/white

Finesse worms (4-5 in. straight tail) watermelon,shad,black colors. rigged texas style or weightless.

i normally fish light tackle, light/medium action rods, 8-12 lb test line, small spinning reels.

vaughn

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Zeb, I understand where your coming from. Man, its hard to get enough bait to catfish with. Normally you sort of stalk bass... rocks, logs, brush, lily pads, weeds... places really not accessible or easily maneuverable in a pontoon. It may be worth your while to get a small aluminium boat and haul it around with the pontoon just so you can chase bass appropriately.

4. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    the lake i am going to fish has more weeds than any other lake i know thats why im choosing the pontoon boat. these boats are really manuverable. they are only 8' long and about 5' wide and are inflateable so they dont way to much. i know that i can get where most people cant on a pontoon. the only bad thing is the weeds are so thick you cant get a motor electric or gas except for the first 50 or so feet then thats it. and the other good thing about these boats is they come with a back pack so i can hike to the lakes we have in the uinta moutains. where the fish stay out in the middle where most people cant get to. thanks for the advice. talk to you later.

5. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It can be tough catching bass for bait. You know for them big old catfish. But I like to use floating rapalas and also a rooster tail with a single hook at the end not a treble. I then put a meal worm on the end. It will catch large mouth, smallmouth, trout and just about anything else. Have got a couple largemouth close to 20 inches on a single hook rooster tail with a meal worm on the end. I like to fish by structure.

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    From the description of the lake you are going to fish, your best bet would be topwater frogs. 7" worms with no led and 3/4 oz pig and jig. Live bait with a float fished around the grass edges. Early morning use a buzz bait along the grass edges.

7. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    for heavy weeds floating worms rigged weightless might work ok?

soft plastics like slug o's, flukes, finesse worms rigged with the hook buried, should pull through the weeds.

vaughn

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The extent of my bass fishing any more is on our farm ponds here.
    I primarily hog fish.
    I almost exclusively use worms and floating worms.
    History shows that more big ones are caught on worms then anything else.
    The jig and pig running a tight second.

Both are slow methodical approaches to chub fishing that produce results and are relatively cheap to throw.

Bass fishing is a mind game. You have to stay focused on what you are doing all of the time.

You may see me throw to the same exact spot as many as 30 -40 times before I move on. Why would I do that?
    Most of the trophies I've ever caught were caught by continually working a spot from different angles with different presentations.
    You can entice a bite out of anger.

9. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    these bass wont be for bait they are for eating. theres a big fine for using game fish for bait.

10. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    My advice to you would be....
    GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN! RUN! DON'T LOOK BACK! DON'T FISH FOR BASS!
    It is EXPENSIVE!!. There are so many lures, so many colors, so many plastics, and soon you want to own them all!:wink: Honestly, plastic worms (I've done well with 7 or 8in dark colors - purple, black), some crankbaits, a few different topwaters... Oh, just take my earlier advice!

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If the area you're fishing has a lot of weeds, a topwater frog of some sort would work wonders. The floating kind with the double hook rig should work the best. Try the Spro-Frog or the snag proof frog. It's a pretty good technique. I'd recommend a strong rod of 6 1/2 to 7ft. Also braided line is the best. It's expensive line, but you can use it for a LONG time before you have to restring your reel.

12. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    i found a store in my area near the lake i wanna fish and they sell plugs and rapalas for 2 or 3 bucks. and the soft plastics you buy after ice fishing are cheaper than dirt. the only thing that stays expensive is worms and such.

13. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    ive never done to well using frogs. we used to catch bullfrogs for bait but we had to kill them first. yeah utah is alot like colorado ( TREE HUGGERS ).
    other wise we would use live ones. ill try it this spring though.