New to Barlett

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Bill Maon, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Bill Maon

Bill Maon New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Can anyone give me a couple of suggestions on fishing bartlett, I am new to the lake. Thanks for the advice.
    Bill

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Someone from your area will be along to answer your:0a22::0a25::0a25: question.

3. Bill Maon

Bill Maon New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the shout out. I recently retired and just trying to get back into fishing after many years of never having time, so I am looking forward to it once again.
    Bill

4. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Sounds like fishin has been fairly quiet at bartlett recently!Love to get out there and give it a try tho!!

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Bill.

6. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    if ur looking to just shore fish? bartlett flats is ur best bet for catfish. i have seen alot of ppl catch crapie in the little coves between sb cove and the flatts tho

7. Bill Maon

Bill Maon New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the information, I do have a 21 foot pontoon so I am not shore bound, just unfamiliar with most of the lake. I bought a map so I at least sort of know the lay of the land so to speak.
    I am going for the weekend I will let you know how things went. Just my luck though its suppose to be 112 on Friday and then turn really cold (108) on Saturday. Hey we have to keep our since of humor here in Arizona.

Bill

8. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Bill. What kind of fish are you searching for? If you are out to catch any fish, I suggest upriver about 2-3miles from Yellow cliffs, you'll see submerge trees in the middle of the river. Be careful there, it's shallow around 4ft. There are small but frequent shad boils, try to target those and you'll catch decent fish. Just around that area you can anchor and throw bait into or around that structure. If you are going for catfish then go further upriver, past shiprock, fish the main river channel next to steep cliffs or infront of bends or behind depending if there are aggressive or not. You will also be out of the sun when fishing those area. You know what I mean when you get there. Give us a report on how you did.

9. Bill Maon

Bill Maon New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Fishing strictly for catfish, at this point I don't care if they are Flat Heads or Channel Cats.
    Being new to the area I just hope to have some success.
    Thanks for your advice. I will let you know how things go.
    Bill:big_smile:

10. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    welcome to the boc. bart is slow now cause of it being so full. but just like matt said fish up river in about 4-10ft of water. use 4-7in gills. i like to stay out in the middle so my boat looks like don kings hair with poles. you cant win if you dont play:cool2:

11. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Welcome to
    the boc! Upriver is a great spot, spent plenty of summer nights out there with my son. Some nights better than others but always a great time! Cats at night & bass in the morning.

12. Bill Maon

Bill Maon New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions, I went up river about 2 miles from the big black rock formations beyond shiprock, I found an area of dead trees on the Starboard side and fished there. My son and I caught 25 to 30 catfish but all were real dinks. We did catch one Flat but it was only about 14 inches long. I was surprised that everything was so small, but maybe the heat had something to do with it. The water tempature was 86.4 during the early part of the night and cooled off to 83 degrees during the late night into early morning.
    The second night I did catch a decent fish but was unable to get it onboard before the hook dislodged. Too bad to it was right up to the boat when it came off. Oh well thats why its called fishing and not catching, all in all it was alot of fun.
    I did see a few cat fisherman on the river but didn't get to meet anyone, maybe next time.
    The river was getting pretty shallow after what I considered the last navagaitable turn on the river. There are some big rock formations on the right then the river bends pretty sharply to the left. There is a lot of vegitation and trees in the water here at that point. I went in just a little ways and when the water got 3 feet or less on places I turned around and came back out I didn't want to lose a prop or something way up there by myself. I did see one other pontoon boat who went on up the river another 1/4 mile but I just didn't feel it was worth the risk since this was my first tine that far up.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  13. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    yeah that last turn your talkin bout is tricky. you have to navigate back and forth cause of the depth. but first time i would have turned around to:embarassed:.some parts of that river has deep holes round 25ft or so. but last time i was up river bout a month ago water temp was round 90-92. anywhere in the river is good. when its on. good luck

14. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    about 3 weeks ago i was up there about 1/2 mile or more up from were u were there is 1 tricky spot were the channel runs throu that is only about 12 foot wide and trees on both sides in the middle of a little sharp turn but the river opens up again after that but i only caught a 3# channel and a turtle up there and a little flat out by the yellow cliffs. mybe next time?

15. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz New Member

State:
    AZ
    Flatheads want access to deep water, so there won't be as many up that far. Turtles love it though. Just my opinion. Rivers and lakes are totally different animals.

16. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    is that why my aunt caught a 47# right there at indian bend? do u know where that is? u know its weird cause i have seen alot of big fish come out of the river and i have seen alot of big fish come out of the lake so i dont really know.

17. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz New Member

State:
    AZ
    As I said, that is my opinion. Not necessarily stating as fact. That fish was probably caught in the spring, when they go up to spawn. I am talking about September.

18. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    all iam saying is that i have seen big fish come out of the river all summer not just spring thats not an opinion. but i do agree that there is more that make there way up the river in the spring.

19. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Its really all just a matter of perspective. If you are fishing in a river that averages 8 feet and find a hole thats 15 then thats the deep water. I myself have had the best luck when you have structure by "deep water". When I say by I mean within 100 yards of the hole. I have found that the flatties will swim a ways to hit their favorite buffet.:wink:

20. catman13

catman13 New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    just aim for the water,with bait:eek:oooh: