New to baitcasters

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catfishwalker, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Catfishwalker

Catfishwalker New Member

State:
    Sebree, Kentucky
    Im looking to buy and learn using a baitcasting reel for the first time. Any suggestions on a reel for a beginner? I just bought 2 Catfish Safari river rods and need reels to fit them.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Those are some great rods. I would put Abu 7000c3i reels on them. Lots of line capacity and real smooth operation. A good lifetime investment. Good luck on your choice.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First.All rods and reels should match and be compatible when ever possible for MOST fishing.There are exceptions when "Specialty gets involved.Give the info on your rods and the experienced Bait casters on here will help.

I am not one and I have little knowledge of them.I like you am trying to learn all that I can about them.My 50 + years of fishing has been with many other reels.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Gary, First of all welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of god info in there.

Get a couple of abu 6500's and you won't regret it.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Get a couple of abu 6500c3's gret reels to learn with, and will last you for a long time.

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Gary welcome to BOC, like the other post say you can't go wrong with a 6500 C3. Just so you know the 7000 has two settings for casting, but you can't go wrong with either. Like Mickey said for long term go with the 7000, they are a bit bigger and have a higher line capcity. But if I had two catfish safari rods I would put a RCN60 HC Abu Garcia reel on them, but thats me. The 6500 C3 is a good starter reel and you won't be disappointed, hope this helps you out, and let us know how it goes for you.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    One of the abu 6000 or 6500 reels. They are hands down the easiest baitcaster to learn to throw. They're the most forgiving and easiest to adjust.

8. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Any size Abu Garcia from the 6000 to 9000 size would be a great choice. :wink:

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    abu 7000 i or 7000 cti or 7000pro rocket ,if u dont want to spend but about $50.00 okuma 30d is a good one :0a26::0a23:

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I agree with the other posts. GO ABU GARCIA! 6500, 7000c3. can't go wrong. Great reals for the money. Smooth, cast easily, handle alot of line for most catfishing applications. Now for the line, I would use berkley big game.:big_smile:

11. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I got 4 Okuma 302L I put line n two of and I tried casting them, but the line keeps tangling.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I don't have the experience with the bait casters either but I have been using many 6000's and a few 6500's lately. One thing that I noticed that I don't like is the ratio and handle size. I just haven't found the combination that I like. When I use them I fell like they reeled in to so slow and I'm reeling in like a mad man if a fish runs toward the boat. Most of the cats I caught on them either took line or I slowly brought them in...like it should be done. Now on the other hand I caught some Hybrids this week and them boys ran straight at the boat like a freight train. The reel couldn't keep up at all, I didn't like that, I landed the fish but I think I was lucky.

I know their are many gear ratio's etc and maybe the one's I used are set up different than most. My real point is if you are use to a spinning reel all your life I think its important to try a few bait casters and really make sure you like your ratio. For me, the search is on still on.

On that note perhaps you guys can give us some insight on ratio's and if you guys ever use a power handle's. I hope you don't mind me adding this question to your thread ; )

-Jim-

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't know how much money you are trying to spend, but I really like my shakespere tidewaters available at walmart for 35 bucks. I have 7 and couldn't be happier.

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The ABU 6000 series are great all around reels and not to hard to learn to cast. The bigger 7000,9000, & 10,000 models take a little more getting use to in my opinion.

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I put power handles on most of my catfishing reels, not for cranking power though as I fight them with the rod tip, not the reel. The bigger power handle knobs are alot easier to find without looking for me when in the dark or low light, as most of my catfising is after dark.

16. Baitcutter

Baitcutter New Member

State:
    VA
    I agree the 6000 and 6500's are very easy to learn to cast. If you have room in the backyard that's a good place to practice casting and getting familiar with your new reels so you'll be ready when you get on the water.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would start off with a Abu 6000 or 6500C3.

18. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The Penn reel is worth consideration as well. If you want some good stout levelwind reels, the 209 or the 309 would fit the bill...

19. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Gary, new to baitcasters myself. I just bought a Shakespear Tidewater 30L, but still have to get a rod to put it on. They are decent reels for the money as far as i can tell. $36.00 plus tax at Wally World!!!

20. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gary welcome to the BOC, and as for the reel I would agree with Roger, the smaller 6000-6500 would be a good choice to start with. Just start out slow and work your way up to harder and farther. I would also start out with some cheap or old line while learning you can get some pretty bad bird nest until you get the hang of it.