New to Ark city

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Woodrow Jr., Mar 8, 2006.

1. Woodrow Jr.

Woodrow Jr. New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im new to the Ark city area and im looking for some places to catfish,any ideas?

2. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    I lived in Ark City from August '04 to July of '05. The Arkansas runs right down the west side of town. There is Cowley state fishing lake about 13 minutes east of town on Kansas Ave. Just take Kansas east out of town and about 10-12 miles later you'll see a sign on the right for Cowley SFL, it holds eater channels and some flatheads. I cought an 11 lb flattie out of there, but that's the biggest fish I ever cought there. Old timers said there are flats in the 50-60 lb range in there, and I don't doubt it, but I never actually saw one.

I also ran a bankline off the closed Chestnut bridge into the river with live bluegills or greenies once and awhile, biggest yield was a 6 lb channel. I've seen a few blues come out in the 5-20 range, but that section of river is very heavily fished so the fish don't bite much unless the water is on the rise.

If you enjoy fishing for small to medium sized largemouth bass and big bluegill, stop by 6th street pond. It also has a good green sunfish population for bait. It's a small pond, VERY VERY VERY deep for it's size, but with very very clear water. There are few catfish, but all I ever saw were dinks. From what I know it used to be a sand pit, which is logical considering all the sand around plus there are smaller pits nearby. I was told at the bait shops that a lot of folks were dumping trash like old appliances in there, and that they closed the sand pit when they struck a spring and it filled up with water. Rumor has it there are some huge flatties down there that locals let go after catching them from the Arkansas. Watch out for poison ivy, snakes, and large alligator snapping turtles. I fished at that pond a LOT because I liked how easy the bass were to catch, and they were fun with medium light gear.

Winfield city lake isn't too far away either, it holds walleye, flatties, nice channels, etc.

The Walnut river runs down the East side of town. It's a muddy river, and if you can find decent access, I hear there are some nice fish in there, too.

Good luck and have fun.

3. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Havent been in the area for a long time.. but good luck

4. Woodrow Jr.

Woodrow Jr. New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info Arron,i fished the 6th st. pond yesterday for about an hour and caught 4 smallmouths.I think im going to try the walnut today.

5. trytofish

trytofish New Member

State:
    kansas
    big blues are to be had in kaw. all the old timers around there are eager to help and show you where and how.

6. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    JR. if you fish Cowley state lake In a boat turn on your depth finder in the middle of the lake there is a deep hole & there is usely a nice flat or two there. I`m not sure but I`ve heard the was an old well out there. It`s been a long time sence I fished there but I have seen a 35 & a 40 pounders come out of there.