New to Arizona

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by hoosier angler, Oct 16, 2005.

1. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hello, I have just joined BOC. I've been hitting this site for the last couple of months. I'm trying to figure out how you fellas fish in the desert.
    I moved here from Indiana in May, have not had time to fish yet.(JOB)
    I would appriciate any suggestions. I'm gettin ready to move to NW Phoenix area from Scottsdale. I will bring my boat out in the spring. It seems like everybody says you had a wet winter which brought up all the lake levels this spring. I'm just thinking you usually don't have this much water? I see you have flatheads and channels, but what about blues. sounds like good bait is a major problem for you guys. How about tournaments?
    That is enough questions for now. Thanks

2. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    fishing out here can be tough at times. it is just now starting to slow down. we have flathead and channels, there might be blues up north but not sure. i hit the local lakes all thru the summer. then in the winter the fishing really slows, and plus it gets real cold! Bartlett lake is a good choice for flathead and channels. Pleasant lake is also good for channels and the occasional flathead. Roosevelt lake and the salt river can be excellent for flathead. some of the lakes are up now but i don't know how long that will last. i too live in scottsdale. as far as bait goes, bluegill, green sunfish, shad, and baby carp are all good for flathead and channels. if you have any questions about the fishing feel free to ask

3. hoosier angler

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the reply Matthew,
    When you say real cold, what do you mean about cold? water temps, I am used to our (in Indiana) res. dropping 30 feet and freezing up in Jan.?

When do you fish , I mean what months. Do you all fish when its 115?
    Where do live, I'm in Greyhawk?

4. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I moved down here from Oklahoma, (via Idaho, lol) 3 years ago and I still haven't got the fishing completely figured out here. Its almost like a different country here, lol. I will say one thing though, if you are bringing a boat, you are on the right track as shore fishing here is definately a challenge as you have limited lake access what with all of the bluffs, national forests and such.

I too wondered about Blues and noone that I have talked to has seen any here although there is a state record blue in the record books, someone told me it was caught at a private lake. Roosevelt and Bartlett are the two big Flathead areas I would have to say and Pleasant is good for channels, some flatheads, bass, striper and they say there are Northern Pike in there too. Canyon lake is the big bass lake with the state record 16 pounder coming out of there. I would stay away from Apache Lake (although it is beautiful country), there were some big fish kills a couple of years ago and it has not quite recovered yet. I have no experience with Saguaro Lake at all. If you are interested in trout there are countless trout lakes and streams to the North of us.

Mathew must be a native Arizonan, lol. Yes it does get cold at night in the winter here, but its still real nice. I think its the big change in temperature from day to night that makes it feel so cold. We have had really high lake levels all year, as we had a ton of rain this fall. The levels have dropped substantially in the last few months though. Anyway, welcome to the B.O.C. and if you have any more questions, ask away.

5. hoosier angler

State:
    Arizona
    Jeremy, sounds like you are moving also.
    The weather here is not what I am used to.
    I am used to four seasons?
    It sounds like channels and flatheads
    If you ever get the chance fish Wilson lake in AL( tennessee river system) TVA
    Giant blues 20 to 30s are common we just got back from there and broke off 3 fish on 80lb tiger line, our fault, not used to BIG fish.
    The fishing regs in AZ are pretty restrictive.
    In Al you can do almost anything.
    In IN not too bad
    Thanks for the reply JA

6. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Yeah, I am moving back to Oklahoma in a couple of weeks. Anyway, it is different down here and all I can say is read the regs. No trotlines, noodling, multiple poles, no baitshops on every corner as you have to catch your live bait from wherever you are fishing. Its not bad though, I have learned how to use a castnet since I got here. Good luck to you, and enjoy this nice winter weather.

7. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    ya coming in the winter isn't bad, but next summer you are going to be dying. i don't know about you jeremy but being out on the water in 40 degree weather with the wind blowing in your face can be pretty cold! maybe i am just use to the hot weather. in AZ we have more of a 2 season year, a summer and a winter, where the summer temps can exceed 120 during the day, and the winter temps can be in the low 40's at night. only real experienced anglers can fish during the winter. i have not yet figured the winter fishing out yet but am hoping to this winter. like jeremy said, fishing from the shore is very very slow for the bigger cats. if you have a boat that is good, if you don't then think about getting one. around here there is little cover for flatheads. boulders under the water is a good bet for them. if you can find wood that can be good to. don't wast your time in open water. i have wasted tons of fishing trips fishing in the open water. the flathead really hug the cover out here. the fishing just now started getting slower. when the day temps start dropping to the mid 80's the fish start finding places to spend winter. i have talked to people who have had good luck fishing in the winter, but don't expect to catch anything.

8. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Just wanted to welcome you to the BOC and to Arizona.

To answer a couple questions from what I know, there are definately flatheads and channel cats here in Arizona, but for Blues you will have to go to the Colorado in order to get them. From what I understand, the lowere Colorado River has some blues in it, but they don't reach the same size as those in the South. The state record blue was caught down near Tucson, but from what I could find it was caught back in the early years and the lake is now non-existant and was turned into a golf course...again, from what I have been able to find.

I miss the fishing for blues!! There is something about them that is awesome.

The state has a pretty wide variety of fish, and fishing. Trout and pike are available in the Northern areas of Arizona, and warmer water fish are very plentiful at all times of the year in the Southern areas of the state. I hope that you get adjusted to the temperatures here and if you have any questions, drop us all a line.

Martinman

9. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Summer and spring maybe, there is no winter in south central AZ lol.

Welcome to Arizona hoosier, it's a great state. If you miss winter too much you can always go up north and remember why it sucks. :cool:

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Easy there.....some of us love the snow. You see some of us enjoy the snow and hate the 120 degree heat in the summer.

Its all good. From what the weather forcast said today, we may get snow in Flagstaff tonight. :)

Martinman

11. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

WELCOME TO THE BOC
    you will find a lot of useful info here,great club.sorry to here you had to
    leave indiana.i am from connersville,retired to florida 3 years ago,i dont
    really like cold weather,but i miss the season changes and my old fishing
    holes,in my case i am trying to sell this home and go back north,florida is
    ok but there is no place like home,in your case the move must have been
    job related.good luck fishing the desert.
    KIRK :)

12. hoosier angler

State:
    Arizona
    To all of those that replied THANKS

I have been in AZ since May 1, so I think I can handle the heat.
    The cold won't be a problem, I hunted ducks on the open water in -5 degrees
    so I think I can handle a 35-40 degree evening fishing.
    The only time I was going to go fishiing here was at the Verde river and the FS closed the access due to the "effects" of the Cave creek complex fire.
    Just my luck Ha! I have never been Catfishing unless I was in a boat!
    I was going to try it here but the fire you know!
    Matt nice fish are those the common size here?
    I have a 16 foot Lowe big john with a 30 horse four stroke ( about 27 mph ) do you guys think that will do here. It looks like there is a lot of wakeboarding / jet skis here this can be a nightmare for fisherman,comments?
    So l;ong for now JA

13. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hoosier Angler welcome to the great state of Arizona. I think you will find over time that we have one of the greatest states to live in when it comes to hunting and fishing. The diversity offered is unequaled anywhere else that I know of. Just get out and enjoy the unlimited opportunity that this state has to offer. I have hunted and fished almost the entire state at one time or another for the last 46+ years (yes I'm a native) and I still have not seen it all. The fishing can be trying at times but with the help you can get from this site hopefully we can get you going in the right direction when it comes to catfishing. Myself I like to catch other species as well (mainly crappie) and the winter fishing at Roosevelt can be awesome. It just takes some time to learn the lakes and proper tecniques that are needed.

14. hoosier angler

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks Azcatman,
    I also agree with what you said about opportunities here.
    I am keeping an open mind about it. I move here was job related, and I have been real busy getting all of that in order. When things slow up a bit I'll be asking where the hot bite is and going after them.
    Back in IN a bunch of us used to have informal tournaments, it was fun and gave everybody a reason to get together. Do you all do any of that here.

It seems to me that Bartlet would just loaded with boats being so close to the city? Is that why you fish Roosevelt, or is it just much better fishing?
    So long JA

15. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    yes we do have tournaments from time to time , we just had one a couple of months ago at bartlett, a 10lb flathead won it. All it takes is for someone to bring it up and see how many of us bite.

16. hoosier angler

State:
    Arizona
    Hello Shorepatrol,
    Back in IN the DNR strickly controlled tournament fishing on Lakes. Does AZ do it too. On average how many boats show up? Thanks JA

17. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    we all just throw in whatever amount of money we agree on , set the rules and go , last one about 6 boats and 12 people showed