new to area

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by brddgg21, Feb 13, 2009.

1. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    i just moved to the scottsville area (a small town west of charlottesville) and i live 2 minutes from the james river. does anyone know some good fishing holes for around here? i used to work in goochland on the river and had a couple good holes but now im like a fish out of water and dont know anything. any help would be very appreciated. thanks

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Billy.

3. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
  4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Billy! I saw your post in the Pit Stop forum, and just dropped in here to say WELCOME to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :cool2:

5. medford

medford Member

State:
    pleasant h
    welcome billy you will love this site alot of great people :wink:

6. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Just wanted to add my welcome also. Sorry I can't help with the new spots but if you're in the D.C. area, drop me a line. I can show you around the Potomac some.

Tight lines.

7. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    thanks..i have a friend who lives in maryland i visit. might have to make time and try and go fishing on one of those trips. will let you know

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    welcome to the boc. i've never fished quite as far down as scottsville, but just upriver around big island there is awesome flathead and small mouth fishing. there are several boat ramps around there and a coupkle of dams around georgia pacific plant.
    chip

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Billy Welcome to the BOC, from So. illinois. Check out the BOC library when you get time. Lots of fishing ideas to be found.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

10. stringbean

stringbean New Member

State:
    va
    i live in schuyler and have fished the area for a while but i have moved on down to the lower james tofish now but there are a few good holes that i know at scottsville one is right at the boat ramp about mid way in the river and another one up river where the toteir creek dumps in at and around the island and above a little ways also if you go up to howardsville where the rockfish dumps in at there are some good holes up and down the river i caught my personal best down river there at a place the call hughs deep water if you have ever heard of that that should get you started but fishing up here is a whole lot different than fishing the lower james

11. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    hey i know what you mean...i know where the island is and ive seen where that creek comes in so ill get started there...thanks for the help..most people around here dont want to talk to you unless they know you so its hard to learn anything about the place. cant wait to hit the river this spring though and see what i can pull in

12. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Don't waste your money if it's not a good fishing area. I went to visit my brother in Maryland 35 bucks later and a crappy fishing spot....ect. If your in Cville, Goochland is nothing of a drive to your old fishing spots. Just take some time you'll learn your new fishing holes.:wink:

13. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    If you fish the Potomac River, you don't need a new license and the fishing is very good. Maryland and Virginia have a reciprocity agreement so a Virginia Freshwater license is good to go. What we don't have in huge fish, we make up for in volume. There is no shortage of 20 -30 lb fish and 40s & 50s are caught all the time...and there getting bigger each year.

If you're in the neighborhood, it may be worth wetting a line.

Take care.

14. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Well, Billy and Chris receive a great welcome as part of the BOC community. :0a25:

Also, Chuck, thanks for the great advice and brotherly spirit! :0a31:

15. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Welcome to the BOC Billy

16. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Glad to see you made it on here and good fishing to you.