New to area, Bank fishing Louisville area

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Balex123, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hello guys

I'm from northern Indiana, and my parents recently moved to the Louisville area. One of the major reasons I started Catfishing, is to be able to fish the Ohio. I'm not all that familiar with the area and was curious as to what would be a good place to bank fish. With the holidays approaching I will be spending a lot of time down there and would like to catch a blue or whatnot. Falls of the Ohio park any good? Any help would be appreciated.

2. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    i fish the water front park sometimes and catch catfish ther i havent fished the falls at all but have heard you can catch them there.i would say anywhere along the waterfront in jefferson ville would be a good spot to.on the ky side by tumbel weed you can fish under the old railroad bridge and its a little deeper behind the peers there. hope this helps or i will be fishing from the boat around the louisville area alot of times i go solo so hit me up let me know when you will be here we might be able to go fish when your here:big_smile:

3. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok, excellent Brian! Thanks, I will send you a friend invitation and maybe we can go out around thanksgiving or whatnot.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Salt river people fish alot . Southwest side of downtown . Not from the area good luck !

5. catfishingricky

catfishingricky Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah the falls is good alot of catfish up there i fish right down from that on my boat at the hydro look at my last post it has picture of hydro on it there is always people fishing from the bank there i just dont know how they get down there but the falls i park at the museum on indiana side it like 3$ to park but try and find how to get to hydros i catch alot of fish there :big_smile:
    Good Luck!

6. kvonn0001

kvonn0001 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to Louisville,
    Good catfishing at falls of ohio, park at museum ($2.00), follow footpath to right for deeper water at 'Big Eddy". Fishing is totally dependent on how much water they are letting in (18 ft. at lower gage is probably ideal).
    There is a footpath that comes out west of hydroelectric dam. Take I-64 west from downtown lou.,get off at 22nd st. exit,head west and north toward river,
    at 26th st. there is a gap in floodwall that goes toward locks.It looks like Army Corps of Engineers Restricted property, but it's not. Go over railroad tracks
    then left to bridge which goes over locks. Cross over bridge then follow rd. about a quarter mile . You;ll see A pulloff w small parking area to left.Park
    and follow signs to Boy Scout Fisherman's Footpath. Follow to river and turn right to get to hydro dam. Good luck!
    Kurt

7. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Yes what kvonn001 said, and like Catfishingricky said the hydro is awesome. If you look close in my avitar pic you can see the Hydro pic in the background behind me pic's kinda dark tho. But thats where I fish alot that avitar isn't the biggest I've caught down there just one of the most recent like 3-4 weeks ago. Might go tomorrow depending on weather.

8. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey guys. I'm attaching a photo of a map of the area. Was curious if I have the spots down you all recommended. I put two black lines for the hydro dams, and put in red what I believe is where to fish. I didn't mark the island area, as I'm not sure about the license thing. Any suggestions? Thanks for the posts earlier. Very helpful

Attached Files:

• ohio.jpg
      ohio.jpg
      File size:
      31.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Take I-64 west from downtown lou.,get off at 22nd st. exit,

Turn right at the bottom of the ramp on northwestern Pkway,

Follow NorthWestern Pk until you get to the Second Street on Right that turns into the Park( there is 2 signs )1-that reads McAlpine Locks and Dam. and 1 for the park.( turn right )

Follow around to the right and then take the first left and go through the gap in floodwall and cross the tracks,

Go left and go through the gates up over the bridge that cross's over the locks. Follow all the way back. turn left into parkng area,PARK.

Follow Fisherman's path trail down to the river AND GO to the right to get behind the hydro dam.

You could go to the left and follow it around to the discharge of the Locks which is a real good spot, After the water discharges and the fish move in to feed on the clean hard bottom by the concrete wall.

Used to be able to park as soon as you crossed the bridge on left and walk down, but they stopped that for some reason???

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Not familiar with the area but Welcome to the BOC from the other end of Ky. good luck and tight line to ya.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the bOC Bryan.

12. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Yeah that black line on your map to the left is the Hydroelectric plant thats behind me in avitar and the directions they gave you like Flamekeeper said will take you right there you can fish all night but you have to be over the bridge before 8 p.m. because they close the gates to cross the bridge but when you leave they see you on camera and open the exit gate. And I fish all up and down the bank there not just behind the hydro also the island on the map you talk about is right in front of you when you walk down the steps from the parking lot I fish right across from it alot. My newest pics from down there are on post by oborocathunter called "anybody?????" under ky river talk

13. Scorpion

Scorpion New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    As long you are fishing the main stream of the Ohio your IN. fishing lic is good on the KY side of the river. Hope this helps.

Jim

P.S. if you need someone to show you how to get to some good spots contact me.:big_smile: