New to all of this.

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by mhedrick82, Jun 17, 2009.

1. mhedrick82

mhedrick82 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey my name is Matt. Im new to all of this to say the least. I grew up in Pittsylvania County fishing in mostly ponds for bass and occasionally for channel cats. I moved to Richmond about 2 years ago for school and continued to go home on the weekends to get my much needed fishing in. Recently I started to get interested in all of this catfishing hype. I grew up catching 8-12 pound channel cats, so to see most of your pics on here is a dream. I live on the west side of Richmond and work in Mechanicsville. Because I am a student I do not have a boat up here and i'm interested in getting in to the "big cat" world. Im interested in any help as far as where I can fish from the bank, pier, etc. in any nearby river or lake. Im open to any ideas or advice. Also if anyone ever needs a fishing partner then please let me know. Im trying to learn as much as I can....Thanks in advance.

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Welcome to the BOC Brian, I am not from that area so I can not do much to help you but you are in a good place to learn. Check out the member library, this will help answer some of your questions about rigs and how to traget the different types of catfish in different situations. It contains a wealth of knowledge to further you dream!
    Here is the link to the library:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Matt.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome on board, Matthew! Look around, especially in other Virginia threads, and you will find a treasure trove of information on catching those big blues. :0a25:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome aboard Matt. :big_smile:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Matt, welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good people and great information.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Matthew! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :cool2:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome Aboard Matt.

9. KevMan

KevMan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome aboard Matt. I use to live down your way for about 10 years but, that was a while back. I can't remember the names of all the fishing holes I went to but, I'll tell you this you're in a good area and just about anywhere you want to get a line wet down there is a good place.
    I'd love to team up with you down there some time and maybe one day we will.
    It's my opinion that you can't plan a fishing trip. If I do something always happens to muss it up, you just gotta go so, I do :tounge_out: and always have a great time. Maybe one day though brother.
    Good Luck...

10. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    welcome to the BOC matthew... i just realised that you and my son went to school togethor. small world...maybe we can hook up sometime for a trip on the james. i was taken out by members on this board for my first trips and had a blast. the real james fishing does not kick in until late fall.