NEW TN STATE RECORD, AMERICAN EEL

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by k_ro_jr, Aug 1, 2008.

1. k_ro_jr

k_ro_jr New Member

State:
    Carthage, Tn
    Thanks gents for all the welcomes on the other post. I hope the picture of the eel shows up on my post. I was waiting to post this after it was offical by the TWRA, which happened today. I took the eel to the TWRA office in nashville and the biologist identified and weighed the eel for the new state record. I caught the eel @ Cordell Hull Dam in the tailwaters on Tuesday night around 9pm, long story short, I brought the eel home to clean and eat since it bled to death after I got the hook out of its mouth. I had to do some research on the net to help with cleaning and preparing it to eat, since I had never done so and found some pics of an eel caught in AL that broke a record, that made me think? well what about TN, so I got the 08 TN fishing guide book and there was an eel state record of 4lbs 2oz, I knew right then this eel weighed more than that, offical stats on my eel from TWRA are: 40" long 5lbs 11oz's I haven't measured the girth yet but I am guessing around 10".:big_smile:

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    man that is an awesome catch. Good eating??!:confused2: Nice record.:big_smile:

3. k_ro_jr

k_ro_jr New Member

State:
    Carthage, Tn
    Sorry men, I am still trying to figure out how to do everything, I couldn't figure out how to add or put pics on the orginal post, so my profile pic is the best close up of the eel and I added another album with more pics. If interested just click on my profile, thanks.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice!!How cool is that to hold a state record?!?!?!Congrats..I'd have cut him up for bait and never thought about no records.

5. EarlyBird

EarlyBird New Member

State:
    East TN
    Congrats on the State Record!! What did you catch it on?

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can't believe this man, we were catfishing a couple of months ago and I caught a eel, it was huge. I had never seen one before, I can't believe it, I took it home and showed it to everyone and threw it away. But if i'd have known you wouldn't had some competition. I want to say it was at least 4 ft. long. Well congrats on the catch and if I every catch one again I will call the twra.

7. k_ro_jr

k_ro_jr New Member

State:
    Carthage, Tn
    I caught it on the infamous garlic shrimp:eek:oooh:. I stumbled upon the record deal by luck before I skinned it to eat, so lucky me I guess. This is only the second one I have caught and the first one was in the mid to late 80's, my daddy says he remembers catching a big one in the 60's. I think most people that probably catch them cut the line because they don't know what it is or they are afraid of snakes,lol. From what I found on the net and what TWRA said is mostly commerical fisherman catch them?