New Tennessee Laws

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Panfish Bill, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Panfish Bill

Panfish Bill Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Bill
    Anyone see the law changes? Coming in March transport of live trophy catfish is illegal. I thought it was only commercial fishermen but it may have been expanded to everyone. Which puts tournaments in Tennessee at risk?

They are also starting to regulate the transport of live bait trying to stop the spread of Asian Carp. This won't really work because they go through the locks at dams in the thousands. A lake without a lock isn't safe from Asian Carp either as a lot of our creek systems interconnect from one big lake to another. The bait transport seems to be applied to Western Tennessee lakes for now although they are already established in the lower Tennessee River lakes (Alabama, Pickwick).

Rexgrove and rustyhook36 like this.
  2. rustyhook36

rustyhook36 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Name:
    put first name
    I was told that it just puts out of state transport as illegal.

3. racer5m5

racer5m5 Well-Known Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    Chuck
    I don’t see how it would put any fishing tournament at risk. Other states have big issues with people catching big cats and carrying them to pay lakes for cash. I really don’t want people removing our fish and selling them to pay lakes. I’ve heard they pay big money for big cats. I catch lots of big fish. I’ve shared some pics on here and I want to continue to catch big fish and put them back in our river to fight another day. In regards to the Asian carp there are several other species of fish, crayfish and mussels that you cannot transport. They want to contain these if possible. I love dragging crawfish and fishing with them in the spring for white bass which is ok and you used to be able to buy them at bait stores but that practice was stoped because some bait shops started buying out of state crawdads that are not native to our waters and we didn’t need another invasive species in our waters. That is how the Asian carp and Asian mussels got here from somewhere else. No I’m not a tree hugger but I do love my country and state. Why would anyone want to remove a big cat and kill it who would eat it? I do love the little cats up to a couple pounds.

Rexgrove and Panfish Bill like this.
  4. Fire&Cats101

Fire&Cats101 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jonathan

I agree with you on the pay lakes, invasive species and the CPR practice on all trophy class fish. The sad fact here in VA and many other states is the commercial fishermen are being allowed to keep the trophy size fish. They are winding up in your grocery store freezers and on restaurant plates. This happens matterless to health advisories and shows how little common since or respect the states, commercial fishermen have for our fisheries, our sport and our society. On top of that they operate with near zero regulations and no supervision and no limits. Every year the number of commercial boats grow along with the estimated harvest which can not be accurately calculated due to the lack of monitoring. It’s a page right out of a National Geographic report on some third world country destroying its fisheries.

If you are lucky enough to live in a state that doesn’t allow such idiocy keep tabs on what is being discussed by the money grabbers and fight any mention of commercial fishing that is brought up.

Panfish Bill likes this.
  5. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I contacted TWRA, the new law only applies to commercial fisherman to prevent transporting trophy fish out of state. It does not apply to recreational fisherman and does not effect any tournaments.

Fire&Cats101 and Panfish Bill like this.