new technology produces junk???

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 14, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    :angry:well heres a problem i had and am having. i went to burning wood a few years ago and had 0 saws 0 splitter ect...

well a few of ya seen the pics of the 11hp 25ton splitter i built on an old boat trailer. used an 8" by 8' ibeam 24'x4' cylinder and 16gal per min pump. a few bugs being worked out with it (throttle vibrated loose on the handle i built. ect.) little things. lock nuts will fix and a drip or two on a few fittings. nothing major. all hand built from new equiptment and it splits 3-4foot diam logs pretty easy. i have $1000 in it. at menards one i can fit in the trunk of a car costs $1200 mine would split them in 1/2 lol.

so i go buy a brand new McCulloch pro 16" chainsaw from menards. a 40cc 16" and most are 34cc so it was a pretty powerful saw and probably could take an 18" bar. after one year i had some issues with it. it began to bog out. so after it broke in i figured it needed tuned. well guess what. special tool needed. it was a $220 saw i got on sale for $159. it was marked wrong. im thinking its not worth taking in. the adjusters were basically round with a flat side way back in a tunnel.

me and my neighbor (mechanic) took the housing apart and removed the adjuster jets. took a small die cutter and cut slots in them so they could be adjusted by a flat screwdriver. WARRENTY VOIDED you might say. then tuned again. worked like new. for a week. them bogged again. no power. so his brother (works as a mechanic in mowers,ie chainsaws, small engines every day) stopped by and i brought it up having him take it to work. he said get it out. tuned it right there for me. ran great for 3 days died during a cut and wouldnt start at all so i tossed it 30 feet and gave up.

a few days later a friend stopped by and i was telling him about it. i wanted to finish the tree at my neighbors (elderly lady). he got out his 34cc 16" poulan. as we dropped the aple tree he said he got it through work (beason ag) for $60 1/2 price. he had it 6 months and was gonna sell it to a guy at work for $90. i offered him $70 cash. needless to say his buddie didnt get it.lol

now back to the origional problem. this was last summer. i just tonight at 11pm decided to get the McCulloch out to see if i could clean the carb and get it working. im not a mchanic but am good with figuring things out. i do know what jets floats reed valves ect.. are im not engine illiterate but any how. i took of the housing and was looking at the dirty oil soaked dust on the carb and relized the carb was loose. thinking i broke it when i threw it i looked closer.

the freaking two long bolts going through the carb into block were loose. one completely out one 7-8 turns loose.:angry::angry::angry:

DO YA THINK I FOUND MY PROBLEM???????????????????????? i do. tha dam& thing wiggled loose. i fueled it and choked it and at 12:30 pm it fired right up. i couldnt run it but a few seconds so i cant tell if it needs tuned again cause it was late but im ticked. i have said since i found the carb not being able to be adjusted at home ide never buy another McCulloch. the engine mechanic said they have tried to get the tool and cant. never again. they had a 16" on sale two weeks ago $97. i almost did but didnt want two piles of junk. any one got a sthil cheap?????????????????:angry::angry:

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i went ahead and took the carb off and apart cleaned it all in gas and blew it out with air compressor and plugged the intake holes with paper towels and blew it out and cleaned air filter ect.......... i just am baffled.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

I feel for you man.... my Mc 16".... which I dont use but every other years.... need to take offf the air cleaner to fire it up the first time.....

My brother in Oregon..... Says.... Steele is the ones to get.....

bayrunner ray

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like it It a job for some of that red thread locker stuff. I bought a Bolens 17 HP lawn mower. Darn thing ran great but quit after a month. Carb came apart. I tightened it up and 2 weeks later same problem. After 3-5 trys, I just put that thread stuff on the bolts. It's been running for 2 years now no problem.

I have a Poulan that has that same problem with a muffler bolt. It comes out all the time. These new chain saws are nicer than the older ones because they are lighter, have thinner bars/chain so less engine size is needed, so less weight.

Stihl makes good saws. Ace Hardware had a 40 cc one on sale 2 weeks ago for 189. I went to the store to look at it because their sale paper said 139. When I got in the store they had a sign up saying they had a misprint. Well I looked at it and it was nice and light.

But I already have saws, McCullas , Poulans, and an old Remington. That 139 price was the only thing that made me want to try one.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thanks so much. you just helped me out. if this thing runs ok now i have a bottle (big one) of that red thread stuff lol. LOCK TIGHT! my buddies dad gave me a bottle like 16 oz of it from catipiller for large bolts. i used it on my scope for my muzzeloader and its been deadly accurate for over 100 shots. reps to ya for reminding me i had that.:big_smile:

i found a homelite at my grandfathers in the shed attic. its metal and says made in usa. its old. and we messed with it last year and had ti running in 30 min. after 20+ years of sitting. it smoked and i didnt mess with it much because recoil broke. i should fix it. probably better than all mine.

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Fellow Brothers;
    Back in the "80's" my older, and only Brother, and I thought we would make some extra money doing some logging on the side. Construction and Surface Mining were slow at the time, especially in the late fall, winter, and late winter months.
    To make a long story short, we tried them all! Remington, McCullough, Echo, and a few others that I can't remember just this moment.
    NONE of them stood up to 6000 to 10,000+ board feet per day!
    We went to a Stihl dealer that had just opened. We told him what we needed. At the time, the 660 was the largest you could get! [ Nowadays they make an 088 or maybe they call it an 880, I'm not sure as I have not bought one lately.] This gentleman told us that if we bought a Stihl from him and did like he told us, that if we ever had to pull more than three pulls to bring it back to him no charge for fixing/tuning, ect! Now, we were a couple of pretty rough characters at the time, and we was looking this man right in the eye with a NO NONSENSE look!!! He never backed down, never even faltered! We bought TWO of those 066's! CASH!!
    The only thing those two saws asked for was a sharp chain {we used square grind chains too} a full tank of fuel and a full tank of bar oil and occasionally beat the dust and dirt off the air filter! Other than that we NEVER, NEVER had a minutes trouble! And we rode those two saws HARD!! There were many a day we cut down 10,000 board feet and MORE!
    We would go out and people would pay us to cut their timber for them! Just cut, they would take care of the loading and hauling, ect. We made some daggone {gotta remember this is a family channel :wink: but you all get the point} good money in those days and it did not take long before those two saws paid themselves off either!! :big_smile: As of 2004, when my Brother died in a farm accident, both of those saws were still going STRONG! Had to change a spark plug or two over the years. We wore out several bars and an uncounted number of chains, but those two saws did everything that man told us they would do and more!
    Even though I am old and crippled up, I have a 440 Mag with a 30" bar sitting out in my back shed. I've deliberately let it sit for 6 months one time while I was testing out that new stuff called "Sta-Bil". I'm not sure of the spelling but it sounds close. I took that saw out the other day, pulled twice and it started right up on the third pull.
    I don't, and can't, cut/log like I could when I was a younger stronger man, but I still have a STIHL!
    Truthfully, I would NOT have anything else! In fact, it was my wife that bought that one for me so we would have one around in case a tornado came around again like it did back in "06"!! I hope not as I have been in several tornado's in my lifetime and do NOT care for any more of them. But if I am, and there are trees, limbs, ect, to be cut, I'll be there with my 440 Mag, 30" Bar, a couple extra chains and a gallon of fuel and Bar Oil doing what I know how to do better than most folks!
    If you can't buy a Stihl, the only other chainsaw I might consider is one of those Huskavernas.{the spelling is NOT right but the sound is, sorry but the correct spelling escapes my old feeble mind}
    But, give me a Stihl every time hands down. You will pay a bit more for one, especially nowadays with the way our stupid grabbermint is messing things up, but the extra dollar won't mean a thing when you KNOW it will START by the third pull and run, Run, RUN. All you have to do is listen to your dealer and read your instruction manual and you will stay a HAPPY Human Being. If anyone needs a bit of a suggestion just PM me, I'll be happy to do what I can to advise you.
    Brother's, and Sister's too, save yourself a lot of aggravation, expense, time and trouble! Buy a Stihl in the first place. I've BTDT/Been There Done That and I'm here to tell ya, anything but a Stihl for any kind of seasonal cutting or commercial/professional cutting is asking for trouble. Just look on that "Axe Men" reality show and see what brand they are using out in the State of Oregon!
    I'll go ahead and APOLOGIZE to everyone as I see I have yet again gotten LONG-winded!:sad2: Nuff Said!:sad2:
    Sincerely and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of a LONG winded post]]]]]

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Stil
    I am a sold on stil saws, I have AV O41 iTS A REAL BEAR OF A SAW. If you gona buy a saw Buy a Stil. Its about 25 years old and I would not sell it for anything, They dont even make it any more. I sank it in a Red oak on friday and made wood chips.:eek:oooh:

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wait !! Do not use red lock-tite if you ever intend of taking it back apart. The red is high strength and can only be removed after heating. Use the blue. It will hold good, and still come apart with hand tools....

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't forget to degrease the bolts and bolt holes with either brake cleaner or starting ether. The red is some strong stuff, thats what I used on the Bolens. That blue in my experience will loosen up.

The red will loosen up with heat. Years ago, in the mill they darn near outlawed the red, because some of the millwrights thought it was funny to put it in the keyholes of locks. Man will it seize them up. lol Some heat from a torch would get them to unlock, but they were pretty much shot after that.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In my opinion there aint but two chainsaws worth dragging home.
    A Stihl or a Husqvarna.
    Got a Stihl bow saw older then I am that will run as long as you put gas in it. You got to be a man to hang on to that one.
    Got a Husqvarna bow saw that is the cadillac of all chain saws. You dont want to walk within 25 feet of the rear of that one while its elbow deep in a log or you'll get a face full. She is 110% business. Once you get her on a log it's one hand operated. Light weight for that size saw.This saw is 25 years old and dont look a day over a season old. It's a running son of a gun.

Cant complain about the Stihl Mini Boss either. It's alot of saw in a 14" package. Runs like a top. Not real expensive. 200-220 bucks.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    With the late model 2 stroke yard equipment, you've got to keep the spark arrestors in the mufflers clean, or remove them.

Not saying that's exactly your problem, but they have to be able to breathe to run.

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    IF you plan on using a saw for production use or cutting firewood on a regular basis you need to buy a good quality saw. Anything you buy like a poulan is made to be a throw away saw. Use em to cut a limb or small tree up 3-4 times a year and when they crap out throw them away and buy another cheapie saw.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Lot of truth in the Stihl 3 pull start.
    Ever watched the show Axe Men?
    They use Stihls. Watch how many times they pull the rope on a saw.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    funnny you said that. first thing that small engine mechanic did was stick a screwdriver through it and pull it out. so thats not it,lol. no longer in existance. he did that before even trying to set it. it was real ditry too.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well ive been planing on getting a better one. i needed one to get me going and couldnt do the $400 at the time. after spending $1000 on stove and chimney. then had to build the splitter. now that its close to done only needing another valve for the crane ive built to lift and swing logs hydrolicly.

and the saw ran today for a few min and seemed like its back to new again. that thing is only been used a year maybe 30 hrs. so if i have it going again ive got 2 16". these will be back up saws after i get a sthil. i would like to get an 18 or 20". man there high. but im sure well worth it.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If I were just cutting logs, I would save my pennies and go for a bow saw.
    Nothing 40 years old because they'll work you to death with the weight and vibration but the newer ones will take ALOT of work out of sawing logs. Number 1, no bending over.
    You can saw logs on the ground standing straight up with a bow. Newer saw you can probally do it one handed although I dont promote the idea due to kick backs.

You can find a good used bigger model Stihl or Husqvarna and buy a bow bar for it and have the capability to go either way.
    You find though when you learn to use a bow thats all you'll want to use. They are cutting machines.

As far as shopping for Stihls I wouldnt shop to long or too hard for new one as the difference in prices aren't that much . Its almost like Stihl sets the dealer pricing.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    whats a bow saw??? ill have to research that one. never heard of it?

you mean these . hand saws???

i see. these right. whats the difference? never seen one before.

18. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    How bout one of these???

[youtubevid]oOGJLoVi-Bg[/youtubevid]

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    OH MY GOD!THATS THE EXACT SAME HOMELITE SAW I TALKING ABOUT LAST NIGHT THAT MY GRANDPA HAD IN HIS SHED. SAME COLOR AND ALL. THE BLUE ONE WITH BOW BLADE.:eek:oooh:

SO HOW DO THEY WORK DIFFERENT? looks weird to me since i hever seen one before.