New storage spot for boat plugs

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you are like me you probabaly have a few extra boat plugs rolling around the floor near your transom somewhere...and it seems like about the time you need to grab one, they have rolled under the bench, seat or floor or someother out of reach spot.......I noticed the other day when I was pulling out my plug and getting ready to leave the boat ramp that the base for my rod holders are the perfect size to put a plug in securely until needed later. I have about 10 of those berkley plastic bases secured all over the sides and the back of my boat and now I just stick my plugs in the ones towards the back of the boat near the transom so next time I am out they are right there nice and handy.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah my boat has two spots up high on the transom for plugs near the motor and when not in the water thats where there at also if you soak them in light weight oil they will swell and it prevents dry rot , for those who dont get on the water often

3. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    good idea. I used to keep mine attached to my key so I wouldn't forget to put it in,lol.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    More and more boats are coming from the factory with captive drain plugs. Mine came with one and I love it, it just screws into a housing and has a seal on it and it cant fall out. They sell them separately now so anyone could install one. Then you dont have to worry about losing your plugs, or having them fall out because they are worn or dry rotted.

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    18" piece of para cord tied to plug and motor mount does it for me.

6. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    My plug is the plastic screw in type. I just put it in my center console storage compartment on the pickup every time I get out of the water. I dont have anyting on the plug to tie off to and I dont have any good storage spot on the boat so the pickup it is.

7. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a zip tie on mine and it hangs on the transom strap that secures the boat on the trailer. I can't launch it without taking off the strap and I can't get the strap off without seeing the plug. I also have a spare in the tackle box and in the truck dashboard.

I am kinda slow at times.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I figured out after I put one on the bottom of the lake the best way for me is leave the thing in and put an automatic bilge pump in it:big_smile:

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I rarely take mine out, thats what the bilge pump is for and if I do remove it as soon as every thing is drained I replace it right then but I keep all my boats parked inside except the Carver cabin cruiser and it has deck drains that stay open all the time.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I put my plug in from the outside but the boat came with one inside on a chain to keep it from wondering so I always have a spare ready to go. This thread however has reminded to check my inside plug to make sure it is in good shape. It won't help if it can't work. Thanks

Danny

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Auto bilge pumps are great until they break or get clogged or your battery dies. No sense in using your bilge pump in your yard and wearing it out, that way in an emergency on the water it will be in good shape. The best bet is to just take the plug out or in my case unscrew it. Then just use a pre- launch checklist when you launch your boat, works every time.

12. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    A friend of mine bought a nice jet ski boat with a four cylinder Volvo engine. It had real nice carpet and seats like a luxury car. Can't seem to remember the brand of boat it was. Anyway about a year after he bought it the engine blew a head gasket and he had the engine and ouput pump rebuilt and new control cables ect.
    He had no where to put it under shelter so he invested in a nice boat cover and parked it in the side yard. While he was on vacation we had one of those pesky hurricane left overs come thru during that week and dumped over a foot of rain on the area. Long story short the combination of a falling tree limb and a foot of rain overwhelmed the auto bilge pump and when the battery ran out the boat flooded up to the seat bottoms. That newly rebuilt engine and pump plus all that carpet and seats were either ruined or soaked.
    Leaving the plug out would have solved a lot of that.

There is nothing in my aluminum Cat Daddy that a little water would hurt but I leave the plug out mainly due to the fact I wash the slime, mud and crap out of it after every trip. Most goes out thru drain hole.

LOL

13. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    OK, I was going to start leaving my plug in but you all have convinced me not to now. I have got checking the plug down now but I keep forgetting to lock my engine down when I go to back off the trailer... :smile2: (no power tilt) I have done it twice now.... Maybe I should write this stuff down.

14. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Has it happened to you? New boat. First time out. Tracker boat with livewell screens and drains near boat drain hole. See where this is going? Left dock. Idled out of marina. Accelerate boat and sloe to plane. Hummmm, must just be sluggish. Whoa water coming up through floor drains. Back to dock. Load boat. Drain boat. Enough head pressure to suck a child through drain. Bass fisherman next to me says "forget your plug?". Yes, I sure did and am I embarrassed. Don't be, Won,t be the last time unless you sell the boat.

15. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I like most of you here have forgotten the plug, only for me it luckily so far has been only once and still remembered clearly to this day even though it happened almost 20 years ago. I had a fully decked out Skeeter starfire that was only a couple of months old and I backed the boat in and tied off to the dock and then proceeded to leisurely park the truck and trailer as I was the only one anywhere near the boat ramp on that particuliar day and as I walked back towards the boat it did not look right sitting in the water, seemed to be sitting a little low in the stern and that is when it hit me, I forgot the plug! As I muttered some explicit phrases as I ran down the dock I am sure it would have been extremely funny to anyone had they been nearby to see me laying over the rear of that boat trying to get the plug in as the skeeter had a stepped transom and even though I am tall with long arms had a heck of a time reaching down and far enough underneath to install the plug but finally got it, took the bilge pump about 30 minutes to suck all the water out.
    Needless to say since that day I install the drain plug before I pull out of the driveway at home and check at least a couple times at the ramp unloading to make sure it is in place. That was one experience that left a lasting impression on me I guess.
    vfourmax

16. Gram-aw

Gram-aw New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We were on Santee once in my 12' jon boat. By mid day the wind had gotten up and waves breaking over the bow started adding up. With very little gear in the boat, small motor, etc we decided to pull to the bank, drag the boat up to drain while enjoying a cold one.:wink: When we had the boat empty, we decided to head back out, except we could not find the plug:embarassed: After taking everything out of the boat, twice, still no sign of plug, we decided to just watch the sunset while finishing off the cold ones. About an hour later my partner found the plug.................he had thrown it in the cooler.:crazy: Once we were safely back at camp, we were able to look back at how funny this was.:lol: :lol: