new State Record Muskie

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by DLB-in-GR, Oct 11, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Article from the Grand Rapids Press:
    http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2009/10/state_record_muskie_caught_in.html

This fish was caught by an angler who was willing to put it back. He tried unsuccessfully to revive it for an hour before deciding to keep it and was sorry that it didn't swim away. A 50-lb 8oz Great Lakes Muskie, beats the old record of 48-lbs set in 1984. And the dude was going to trying to put it back. I think the conservation style of fishing might be catching on, how many would have kept this fish without any consideration? I might have, at one time, bravo to this guy (Kyle from Rapid City in the article).

2. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hats off to the guy for trying to release the fish. That being said, I don't have any problems with people keeping a once in a lifetime fish like that one. If I was in his position and caught a fish that I thought was close to the record, I probably would've kept it.

If the story said that the guy kept every muskie he ever caught over 40" and paraded them around the county in the back of of his pickup truck, then I might have abit of criticism to offer. Not in this case though. Great fish and a great story.

3. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Yeah, I agree. A life-time fish would pose a dilemma for me, I'm not against keeping fish. I will almost certainly never have the opportunity to make that decision about a State Record channel cat, but if I had one that I thought might be it, I am not sure what I would do. I'd say let the big boy go, as I do with all cats of size, but might not do it when it came down to the wire. At least he thought about it, Muskies are so rare a catch, and tried to do what he thought was best. He'll have one trophy of a mount, and his name in the books for many years, well deserved.

4. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I think muskies and catfish are a little different when it comes to keeping a trophy. A muskie makes a wonderful mount, whereas a catfish, well thats open to debate. :wink:

I regularly fish in waters that undoubtably hold the state record flathead catfish, yet if I caught one that was pushing the record, I probably wouldn't keep it unless it was belly up. If I caught a muskie that was pushing the record, I would bring it back it back in and probably not feel too bad about it. For each his own though....

5. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    How many guys would put back a state record flathead?

6. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Maybe more than you think. Just this summer a couple of cat guys up here pulled up a flathead calculated (by length and girth formulas) to be 68 lbs, the state record is 70. Those guys took a picture and let the big mamma go.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/50166087.html

Good for them. If I happened to catch the same fish next season, I'd do the same thing. It would be different if it was a muskie (for me atleast)...:wink:

7. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hope folks would set a big cat free. Of course some are still tailgaters and want to show it off. Some fish die even under the best care, it happens. I would hate to kill a monster cat for the official weigh-in process. But for a muskie, I would't mind as much... Heck, I'm biased.

8. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I am with you guys. I would more than likely keep a wall mounter. Cat's seam to have a peace of my heart. When I catch a little cat I think what a good looking little fish. :roll_eyes: