New state record flathead?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jan 7, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just got word at work that a guy pulled in a 83-lb flahead from deer creek spillway tonight..Said he caught it saugye fishing was using a jig and 6-lb test line...He told me the fish was taken out to be verified, but I dont know where or by whom...I am skeptical about this story, so time will tell I guess.

2. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Thats interesting, especially for this time of the year....keep us posted!

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i am sure we will hear it soon around here if it is true.probably be a picture in the wreckless herald..................

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    That is how it happend in Pa. Some guy was fishing for Walleye below some dam of a lake and got him in the winter on a crakbait. It seems to work that way. Someone who dosen't even fish for the cats get the monsters.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats amazing! I like to use lighter lines myself....but I try to stay away from 6# mono. I cant imagine landing that big of a fish on such light line.:smile2:

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I need to start fishing for saugeye more:wink:I'll believe it when I see it.I don't think I could ever catch a flathead on 6 lb test.I've had them break 30 and 40 lb test at the bank.So the guy must have been a great angler

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That is hard to believe that anyone could even get a dormant catfish that size in on 6# test line.

8. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I caught a 15# flathead on 6# line and I thought I'd never get it in.

83#? That should be a world record for 6# line class.

9. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    thats how the world record was caught here in kansas too! the guy was crappie fishing w/ 8# mono. the catch is, my buddie was at the resivoir that day and got to see the fish when the game warden was there. The fish was already dead and he said that you could tell that the fish had been telephoned. sure kills a good cat story when that happens. i would hate to be the guy that caught it... just no glory there!

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree, and below a spillway at that, with current and who knows what else..:cool2: interesting...rollo

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Ken's right! The PA state record flathead held for over 20 years until a walleye fisherman hooked into that fish below the Blue Marsh Spillway on a crankbait.

Fishing is sometime luck too.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Those flats aresp dormant and lethargic in the deep cold that they barely fight at all.

An 83lber during the regular season on 6lb line, impossible.
    An 83lber lethargic/hibernating flat.......you never know!

If that fish is legit, it's just another kick-in-the-ass for catfisherman both in PA and OH.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if it is true i would say the fish was snaged by accident, and in this cold water did not put up much of a fight.

still very skeptical of this, if nothing is in the local paper in a day or two, i will know i was lied to.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, I dunno what the qualifying regulations are, but would a so called snagged fish still be counted? rollo

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I got to get me some of that 6# test line...what brand was it? lol

16. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think it would be since its an illegal way to catch a catfish

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I remember years ago watching Infisherman TV, Doug Stange was jigging for dormant flatheads in winter and he caught a 40lber on 8lb test. Granted, that's half the weight of an 83lb fish, but stuff like that's been done before. We'll have to wait and see what develops....

Some of the saltwater records for light line are unbelievable. I know that there was a 52lb tarpon caught on 2lb test many years ago.

Everyone talks about using 80-100lb test for 70-100lb catfish?? :eek:oooh:

Larry Dahlberg caught/released his estimated 400 lb paraiba (8 feet long) on 130lb test in the AMAZON river, which is far wilder than any river most of us will ever fish on. The all tackle record for that species is 295 lbs on 80lb Power Pro.

The largest line test that the IGFA recognizes is 130lb test. The largest fish that's ever been certified by them as a record was a 2664lb great white, landed in 50 minutes, on Dacron line. The largest fish ever landed by a rod/reel angler is a 3427lb great white on 130lb test Trilene Big Game. It wasn't certified because the 130lb line broke at 150lbs, and it was feeding on a dead whale at the time it was hooked (can't use sea mammals for bait).

When someone tells about catching a 60lb cat on 80lb PowerPro, all I can think is that if you hadn't landed the fish, you must have really screwed up??? :confused2: I know that there are times that you're dragging them out of heavy cover/structure when you can't give an inch, and if you don't use a heavy line, it's a lost cause.

But for the majority of everyday fishing, I think that 30-40lb is more than heavy enough. IMHO. I caught a 60lb snapping turtle out of our little city lake several years ago on 15lb test, and that was with the turtle digging into the bottom and pulling drag like crazy. I thought that it was a big flathead until I got it into the shallow waters and saw it. Then I thought it was a dinosaur, LOL. :smile2:

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I saw the same In-Fisherman video. Those flatheads were being jigged up in Minnesota and it took them like 10 seconds to get them to the surface on a boat.

Tred Barta also caught 300lb bluefin tuna on 20lb test.

As lomg as you the the right rod to help take the beating, you would be amazed the big fish you can land on light line. Can't horse em, just have to tucker them out.

19. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can see how that all possible inopen water(Ocean) and in a boat drove by a good driver that can follow the fish and have a ridiculous amount of line on your reel

20. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    i suppose anythings possible,just one of those things i got to see to believe!.....tom