New State Record Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by flathead20000, May 2, 2006.

1. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Have heard an 85 lb flathead was caught out of Catarac. This is unconfirmed, but I heard there are pictures and it was somewhere around 50 inches long with tremendous girth. Any info would be great!!

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just seen where one of our members here has a 85 Pound flathead in there profile and a 123 pound spoonbill in there catches from Indiana, wonder if this is the guy on both them fish if he caught them in IN. he broke both state records there. The old state record was 79 pounds on the flathead and the spoonbill was 106 pounds . this would be neat if this is one of the BOC members that pulled this off.

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here is this guys Profile where he says he got these two giant fish:

Click here to see profile

Wonder if this is the person ?

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Now, that would be cool.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Looks as if we have a celebrity in our ranks, Welcome to the BOC Harold!!!!

6. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    in Oct. of 05 there was an "85#" flathead caught at catarac and everyone said it was state record but it was disqualified because the scales used where not cert. and he ate the fish so they never got a certified weight on it.

7. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    The one that was caught in Catarac last year indeed was not a record.
    While they did not weigh the fish on "certified" scales, the scales that were used were checked out and it was determined that they were at least 20 lbs off. ( weighing heavy ) It was a shame the fish was not released. But thats just my opinion.

8. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I can't agree more. I hate when people catch large fish even if they aren't records and let them die just because they keep it out of the water too long to show it off. That's what pictures are for.

9. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    Sorry folks. I grew up in Missouri fishing the Ozarks and those catches were there. Many years ago.

Didn't even know IN had spoonbills, have to look into that.

10. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Thanks for setting the record straight Harold.

I would love to see pics of the 85 pounder!

11. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    Wish I could accommodate with the pics. It was caught back in 1961 and back then we didn't carry cameras with us. Unfortunately we also didn't practice C&R then either. It got carved up into a lot of steaks and was well enjoyed.

Got the spoonbill about the same time from the Osage river before Truman was built, or as was proposed then it was to be Kaysinger dam and reservoir. They ended up changing it to Truman as a political ploy to get the needed funding for it from the feds.

Used to be some phenomenal spoonbill snagging in the river during spawn. I still remember snagging that monster from the bank. My dad put a rope around my waist and tied me off to a tree so it couldn't pull me in. For a 15 year old it was one major catch, and still evokes good memories.

12. Brushy Bill Roberts

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    "Didn't even know IN had spoonbills, have to look into that."

Haroldlp, I know of a gravel pit south of Spencer Indiana that is accesable from the west fork of white river and has tons of spoonbill in it.
    I have tried catching them but, couldnt get them to hit. Have talked to guys who "snag" them. I dont care to fish that way. I had one "older timer" tell me that he and his granddad used the meat from mussles collected from the river. That is not an option now since it is illeagal to even posess the empty shells. What would a guy use for these fish? I just want to get a picture with one.

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    As far as I know, the only way to catch them is either by snagging or netting. I have heard of them being caught on rod and reel, but it's almost certainly by accident, since they are filter feeders.
    Hope this helps.

Eric

14. Brushy Bill Roberts

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Thanks for the info. I guess if I want a picture, I will have to try the snagging.

15. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Be carefull I believe that snagging is illegal in Indiana. Not 100 percent sure but you had better check the regulations before you try. I think that it might even be illegal to keep a spoonbill now, but not 100 percent sure on that either . Just check the regulations before trying

16. Brushy Bill Roberts

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Would feel alot better catching one instead of "snagging" It doesn't sound all that legal ( or ethical ) to me. But that is just me, to each his own.
    Thanks for the warning.

17. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    Actually, snagging is the accepted and legal way to catch them as they don't take a hook.

They use their bill to root up silt then filter it to feed on the plankton, totally ignoring anything bigger than microscopic in size.

Trust me even with heavy snagging gear a big spoonbill will give all the fight most folks can handle. Especially when your arms are as heavy as the lead you have spent the last 8 hours casting and retrieving all kinds of stuff before snagging a bill. :lol:

18. mr channel

mr channel New Member

State:
    sharpsville/kokomo Indiana
    Snagging
    Except for the Ohio River (see page 46), it is illegal to snag
    fish from public waters in Indiana. Snagging is the practice
    of dragging or jerking a hook (or hooks), baited or unbaited,
    through the water with the intention of snagging fish on contact.
    Warning: it is illegal to take a paddlefish from any lake or
    stream in Indiana except the Ohio River. Paddlefish caught
    from any public inland lake or stream must be immediately
    returned to the water.

This is from the indiana dnr website,,it is illegal to snag

19. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    Sorry, I should have clarified. I was speaking of Missouri where I grew up and learned to fish. Spoonbill snagging is a regulated season there and has been regulated for many to prevent poaching which is a big problem. Thier roe rivals the finest beluga caviar in quality, which has caused major problems with poaching in years past.

20. Brushy Bill Roberts

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    I always had it in my mind that snagging was illegal. ( here in Indiana )Thanks for setting the record straight.