New State Record Blue

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Jun 11, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
  2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    First off, im mad that you, matt, or myself did not land this cat lol, been down there enough lately :smile2:. Secondly, and more seriously, it probably is dead and its a shame. I would love to get my name in the record book, but yet, have a tough time justifying probably killing a trophy like that and not releasing it to swim, breed, and be caught another day.

3. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for sharing, that was a tremendous waste!:sad2:

4. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Since the "record verification process" involves a licensed DNR "biologist" needing to see the fish in person, I can say with near 100% certainty that this fish is no longer among the realm of the living.:embarassed:

Seems to me like they need a more CPR friendly way of verifying records....

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What a great fish!!!!! I am sure this is going to open another big can of worms on the cpr subject. I personally don't know what I would do. But I know I would have an awesome mount/replica of a trophy cat swallowing a bluegill to celebrate the occassion. Anyways thanks for sharing the article. That is an awesome catch.

What could you do with it if it did die in the certifying process? Eat it, mount it?

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Probably caught by some one who really dont fish all that much therefore has no way of keeping a fish like that alive. I go down there all the time, and I have never seen that boat, ever. It will be interesting to see what comes of this story. Not saying he didnt catch the fish there, but something seems fishy to me, no pun intended.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man I swear I was thinking the same thing on my way home. I don't know if that pic was taken at Schmitt or not, but that background looked mighty green and manicured, Schmitt is not. That being said I guess he could have taken the pic at the scales, but I thought the fish was caught last night??? Who knows man, that fish looked mighty fresh for a next day pic. But more than anything thats probably me trying to convince myself that the fish isnt dead, probably not the case. I swear I can't stand Ohio DNR, cant fish with more than 2 poles, and cant release a record fish to be caught another day.

Like Matt said though, I have never seen that boat around here before..

I can say with 120% certainty that if I ever lay into a fish that breaks that record, there will be 2 pics. One of me holding him, and the other of the fish swimming away. Just felt sick to my stomach the entire drive home from work. Because the bottom line is if that fish was caught right here in my back yard, I would think there isnt many more, and that one is in a freezer...:sad2:

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Your livewell would keep that bad boy alive. the problem is people catching them out of the blue, and in the back of the truck it goes to get weighed. If you had a livewell like we got, we could keep that fish alive, get it weighed and certified, and let it go. I highly doubt that pic was taken at schmidt. Hate to think a 96 lber caught from the strecth of river i been fishing for 12 years is dead. But if there is a 96 lber in the river , there are bigger ones. In my opinion

9. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    poor fish :angry: small rod/reel in the pic for a fish that size but i wouldnt know wut you use from a boat since im a bank boy

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    And I have all next week to find one! LMAO:wink::smile2:

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    There have been more fish in the 50 and 60lb range being caught around here fairly recently (blues), hopefully in the near future the Markland Pool will produce like the lower pools towards the Mississippi...

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats too bad- yeah that fish is dead for sure. My 12 year old son come running down the road a quarter mile carrying a five pound bass he had just caught out of our pond so he could show everybody.... "look what I caught" by the time he got it back it was dead. He got a good lecture!

Thats what it reminds me of... BUT-

That man is an adult.... he ought to be ashamed of himself.... :angry:

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    hate to see a hog like that die but if it is a state record i would say that will stand for a while but maybe not

14. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Sorry I'm not from ohio.. but what makes everyone think thats its dead?? There was nothing in that article that stated that the fish died in the process of being verified as the state record or not..

Oklahoma's state record was almost exactly the same size.. It did not die but it wasnt released either.. It was donated to an aquarium here...

ya never know.. maybe ur new record holder did the same??

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I would venture to say there are fish like that in the Markland pool. I figure there are fish like that all up the Ohio, or at least the parts that are deep enough for barge traffic. There is a good food supply of shad and skipjack and other species throughout the river I'm sure. So I would like to think that Blues have the potential to grow that big through most of the river.

16. ProRocketJP

ProRocketJP New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't know what to say I like a few others have never seen that boat at any of the 3 launches I use in and around Cincinnati, and I fish that stretch of water from Riverbend to past Anderson ferry a couple times a week almost year round if the river is fishable.It is a shame that our state DNR is so backwards that a fish has to die to be a record not to mention the fact that you can only use 2 poles even if you are by yourself and have the rods and holders to fish more.Most of the guys I see fishing have a lil stouter rod n reel set up too, I wouldn't be suprised if this fish didn't disappear from one of the local paylakes.......I hope not but I don't think the guys that put the time in on the river will ever know for sure.

17. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have seen two comments on this thread about the rod n reel used. although I haven't landed a 96 lber I have caught a few over 25 lbs on an ugly stick lite action rod with a abu garcia 6500 c3 reel. What a fight it was, I could see this guy landing a fish this size with that rig if he knows what he is doing. It looks like a decent size reel on there.

18. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    It looks to me like he is using an abu 7000 with a BPS catmax rod. Plenty enough rig to land a big catfish. I agree with Jeff about a blue may have been kidnapped from the paylake. Usually fish that big from the river have quit a few battle scars on them too. Who knows. If he did catch it from the Markland pool, good for him, if he didnt shame on him, I just hope he at least tried to keep the fish alive.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    WOW!! What a pig!!! :eek:oooh:

20. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those cat max rods are decent rods I have 6 of them and not one problem out of them. If it was kidnapped the truth will come out eventually. There was a huge deer killed here last winter come to find out it was taken from a game preserve. Oh the power of the internet.