New Spot

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by jailcop2, Jul 29, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Went to my new spot on the missouri down by Bartlet last night . Got there about 8pm stayed til 1am . I was using shrimp , 8in. live gills , and 3-4in live and dead bullheads . Nothing , nada ,zip , only had one little bite on a bullhead . Lost alot of tackle in the rocks on top of that .
    Brian

2. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i feel your pain, yesterday all afternoon on the miss. i sunk some shad and got only 1 good bite fishing drops found on the depth finder in about 20-26 feet of water. used some stink for a while and got a few fiddlers. nothin to write home about... and then someone else posts that they hammered em somewhere and it just gets to ya. aargh! happy fishing.

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    sorry to hear that. I hope thats not what im going home to in a couple of weeks!

4. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Where are you at in Iowa Brian??

5. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ouch. I feel your pain. Those rivers have a lot of water to cover and I can imagine it could take years to learn how to fish them.

I'm really luck to have Coralville Res. nearby. I nearly always get fish. In fact, I don't believe I've been skunked this year and I don't believe I've caught less than 7 per outing.

This morning, a buddy and I caught 17 nice channels with a big of 6+. It got hot early and we got of the water a little after 10 am.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    It happens brother, dont give up. Still hope there. Just an off day is all.

7. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I went out sat. and today in the mourning and caught 1 fish each time, both were on skipjacks or mooneyes. The problem is I waste most of the trip searching for skipjacks.

8. I think we've all been skunked on more than one occasion. Just don't ever give up. There's too much water out there to just give up.

9. tomturkey

tomturkey New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Central Iowa weather 95+ humidity way up there, and I go fishing. Go figure.Spent from 8 til 11:30last night on the Racoon, using creek chubs, nightcrawler,small gills and shad. Nothing :O( I keep reading the cats love these high water temps. I have'nt done too well this year. hoping for improved conditions.

10. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tomturkey,

what part of the coon did you fish, were you by west desmoines, booneville, adel,.....I fish that river quite a bit just curious what part you were on. Usually in smaller rivers like that with water temps way into the 80's I have the best luck fishing below ripples were the water is moving and keeping the oxygen going. I'm going to hit the raccoon tonight with a tank full of bullhead! Hopefully I can find a flatty that isn't beat by the heat.

11. tomturkey

tomturkey New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Near Van Meter, I'll try below the rapids next time. catch a biggun!!!!

12. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    My first flathead from "central iowa" came from the raccoon between Van Meter and Adel. there are some very nice snags along there and a very very very deep hole about 3/4 mile upstream from the puckerbrush boat ramp. I'm going to go above the dam in Adel tonight...there is tons of cover and some depth but not much for flowing water..you have to tie off instead of throwing out an anchor because there is no current to keep you in position. Hopefully it will be a good night.

Good luck to ya.

13. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    you still have them bullhead tood lol i went out lastnight well monday night and landed a 2 1/2 lber but lost some biger ones below the dam in adel i just couldent get the hook set. they would take off with it run about 20to 25 yards and stop hit it one more time i would real in and had nothing but a bar hook. i pulled up to set the hook on one but i thank all i did was helped it get my chub of.there is a guy at work having the same trubble. you would thank when they are pulling on it hard enof to pull out that much line and when you are sitting there just letting them pull on the rod that they would be hooked but i thank i am going to order some new hooks and other thangs that i am running low on. well better luck next time and good luck to you all

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Stick with it brother. They'll come out play soon enough!

15. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the support guy's . I'll keep after it .
    Brian

16. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I tried that bartlett area today and caught nothing, I didn't even find a good wing dyke to fish. By the way the weather men screwed me with 30% chance of showers. I talked to a guy fishing the Manawa boat ramp area last weekend who said he was doing pretty good on the flatheads, he had a minnow bucket and was fishing from the bank.

17. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Cathunter 28,

I haven't had to many runs from flats lately but the few that I have had I have been having the same problem. It will run and take out a bunch of line and then I will set the hook and reel in and fight if for a few seconds and then nothing. I don't understand because the size of bullhead that I am using are small enough to where they would easily take the whole bait and the hook at the same time. I'm using "J" hooks. I hook the smaller ones through the tail and the bigger ones through the mouth. I guess I will have to let them run longer.

Are you using circle hooks or "j" hooks?

Yes, I still do have all those bullhead, well not as many but still enough for a nights worth of fishing.

18. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia

C/mon guys, sounds like an AA meeting.. j/k. Good luck to all fishin this weekend. i am in a tourny and already nervous...

19. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i am using circle hooks and j hooks so i dont know what is going on i would let them run longer but there are a lot of snags to get in to.by the way the place where i work is closing if you here of anythang around ar area let me know.

20. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah I know what you mean about not letting them run into snags, that has hurt me quite a bit this year........the brickyard is closing? Let me know what is going on..I will keep my eye out for some openings.