New Smoker....please help

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by teaysvalleyguy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Was out at some yard sales trying to do some bargain shopping and came accross this smoker. It was a moving sale and looks like they had trouble selling it, lol.

It was marked:
    50, 40, 30, 20, 10, then make offer. I ended up giving $5 for it so, I think I did well.

Pete told me it is a charcoal smoker but other then that I know nothing.

I love the smoked peppers that Pete makes and I ate I think 20 of them at the NG1 two years ago, lol.

Any help would be great, along with recipes.

Thanks, hope to put it to good use this weekend.

Here is a link to what it looks like.

http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/395343.htm

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt congrats on the smoker. Yes, you did well. Enjoy making some of those peppers.:big_smile:

3. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hey Matt, it's a good smoker for sausages and chicken and lots of other meats...you can smoke some corn on the cob also.
    Get some apple wood or any fruit wood and use it for smoking your meats with and don't forget to marinate the meat or you can use dry rubs for the meat.
    I have a big smoker and I use mine all the time. I'm cooking some pork shoulder and beef shoulder this weekend.
    Good luck with yours brother

:wink::big_smile:

4. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Does the phrase Made out like a bandit, mean anything to you? You got a great deal! Try some baby back ribs with a dry rib rub for about 5 hours at 250 to 275 degrees.

5. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
  6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dang,Mat,They might as well of gave it to ya,:wink:I have a similar smoker myself,Mine is a propane fired unit. Works better here with our windy conditions. I try to keep my heat around 225-250 and I use dry rubs instead of wet sauces when smoking,But that stuff will come ,You just have to experiment with it till ya find out what you like best. I like apple ,maple ,cherry and Hickory for pork. Mesquite,hickory ,pecan for beef ,And mostanything except mesquite for chicken. Light fruit woods are good for fish as well,Apple and peach are good.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Five bucks , thats a deal. Wish I could find one for that. Happy Smoking Bud.

8. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Five bucks, what a deal.....I love garbage sailin'...yer only limited by yer imagination as far as cookin and smokin'...let us know how ya do...them peppers sound goooooood.....:cool2:

9. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Hickory hickory hickory !!!! I do all my meat and fish at around 200 and for a bit longer time.....MMMMMM GOOOODDDD !!!!

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks everyone for your info, I can't wait to try it out this weekend. I will post the results.

Pete, how do you make your stuffed peppers???

I will try and get some pics for yall!! (Unless it does not turn out, lol)

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Looks like a great deal Tea, you'll love using it. If you have a way to control your temp try to smoke most of your meats 250 and no higher than 300 degrees. Good to see ya back posting, How you and the youngin doing?

12. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    She's doing well buddy, growing like a weed!! Thanks for the concern and info, I'll let ya know how it works out.

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    You made out BIG TIME brother! Hook up a briskett for us!:wink:

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Matt, I'll take some pics of mine too this weekend and post them for everyone to see.
    Lots of good advise in here for you.
    I've been doin this for several yrs now and I'm still learning more as I go along.
    I have won some trophies with my smokin and I plan on winning more next year.
    I'm not much on charcoal smokers but I can cook real good with wood.
    Good luck brother, I know you'll do good. :wink::big_smile:

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you are going to use charchol (do not use the instant light ones, they leave a nasty flavor) I use a device I bought from wall mart, you put the charchol in one end and a rolled piece of newspaper in the other and light it, get some wood chip from Wally World, I like apple, but you can use about any type of hardwood, (stay away from the softwoods). I keep my heat at about 225-250.

If you check out the Diner cookbook there are a few smoking recipies in there. I posted my dry rub and wet mop for ribs, if you are up for ribs. If it is chicken, I simply use Italian dressing all over the bird, and keep mopping it down. Bologna and sausage, I just leave as is.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mayy. try these. take 1 lb breakfast sausage and cook and crumble. mix with 1 1/2 packs of cream cheese. lay a chunk of bacon on them and smoke for 2 - 2-1/2 hrs at 225- 250 untill bacon looks browned.

bob made them at catstock. there awesome. heres a batch i made last week. and doing another one tomorrow with HOT sausage. if you still have or still are in touch with billy p i am lol. his rubs are the bomb for smoking.

17. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Teay, you stole that smoker.LOL Pete gave us his smoker, that looks a lot like yours and it was and still is seasoned perfect. I went to wally world and bought a cheap electric table top grill that had a 1500 watt element with controls. I took the element out of the el cheapo and put it in the smoker that Pete gave us and it works great. You need to get one of the digital meat thermometers, they are great and you can keep an eye on the core temps while the readout control is sitting on the kitchen table. We just got a couple of fresh boston butts we are fixin to smoke soon. You are going to love that smoker, I sure love ours.

18. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    What kind of peppers are you using?

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    jalapenos. 1/2ed and de seeded and white seed ribs removed.

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Way to go Tea. I have two charcoal and a propane. I'm smoker poor!! LOL Post up your results. Miss your old cookin post!