new skipjack fisherman

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by outdoors1988, Dec 30, 2009.

1. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Where and how would i go about catching some skipjack i here their around here just don't know how to go about catching some. any info would be great. thanks

2. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    havent went after tham yet but i have been told that mr twisters work real well for them along with the sabiki rigs....hoping to get some skips for spring next year...

3. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    The most likely places in the winter are around warm water discharges.ie paper mills power plants that sort of thing.In the spring around any dam they usually can be caught.They can be caught other places of course but normally not in as big numbers as these.When they are there you can catch them on about anything and when they are not you cant hardly buy one.They are normally caught around swifter water and I usually try to fish the seams between swift and slack water.Try different depths and speeds.Hope this helps.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    what he said....

i use store bought pre rigged sabiki rigs and some self made ones. i like to change it up with little curlytailed worms/jigs and some deer hair jigs. like any fishing i would vary the color until they start hitting. something as simple as color or a slight size change can be the ticket that day. for the most part if their biting there biting.

be sure to check your state regs also. in ky there is no limit on the amount of hooks on one rod, when i fish across the river in ohio i have to limit my rod to 3 hooks. just because they are sold in stores it doesn't make it legal.

5. festus

festus New Member

I usually tie on a 1/4 oz jig with either a hair or maribou tail or twistertail. Then go up about 9" and tie on a 1/8 oz jig, up another 9" and tie on a 1/16 oz jig, then up 9 more inches and tie on a 1/32 oz jig. And as the others said, you can vary them in color and type. The rig works best if you put your heavier jigs toward the bottom. 10 or 12 pound test line on a medium spinning reel will cast this rig pretty well. And no telling what else you will hook in the process.

This is legal in Tennessee. Not sure about the other states.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Use minnows or pink jigs below Ft Gibson Dam when they have the water off. Try at the end of the wall just above the cable. It will be slow there now, but I have caught them when I was fishing for crappie this time of year.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    how do you tie on the multiple jigs. Before i just used a regular trilene knot and left a long tail end to tie the rest on but had problems with the line breaking when I hooked multiple skips and they got to flopping around on the bank.

8. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Ed I could show you how I personally do it but it would be a complete disaster if I tried to tell you on here.Im old school.Some of these dang kids will tell you.LOL:smile2:

9. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Ed, try snelling them all on. it will keep the line more straight and there will be less tension on the knots.

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just tie on a 1/16th oz. green or sometimes just leadhead jig with a white 1" grub. Works like a charm when they are running good in the spring.

11. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Cant go wrong with these 6 hook rigs from bass pro for $2 a piece saves alot of hassle tying 'em up. Come in various Colors and sizes. :wink: Just open back flap tie line to swivel and pull up then hook a sinker on the snap swivel on the end.

Attached Files: