New Sinker, the spider

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by gdlocal10, Jan 9, 2010.

1. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Teri and I met this retired man in Lawrence that use to make jigs and weights. He is a great older gentleman that use to fish the Kaw on a regular basis and he was into the catfishing end of the sport. He showed us pictures of his Grandfather with huge catfish and said some weighed 100 lbs plus. anyway he enlighten us to a sinker that he no longer makes, he actually invented according to him, ( I believe him) at any rate he told how this would work for river fishing. He gave us the mold he had made so we are going to try them out this year, We ll let you know how they work . This is the spider weight according to him.We made some trial specimans tonight, they look pretty interesting.We are going to bring the mold to the Kansas Pour. so far we have been cutting 5 pieces of solid copper wire 2.5 inches long. We have some copper wire but if you would like to make some sinkers bring some wire with you to the pour, and use the molds they are supose to grip the bottom according to Lyle.

Attached Files:

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    There is a guy selling some like them on ebay but he calls these the claw.Looks like it would help hold the bottom.
    [​IMG]

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Jersey is full of them. Alot of the surf fishin fellas use em. Oh yea,they hold.

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Do-It makes a mold very similar to that Gary. CLAW SINKER
    I have enough problems getting my rig back without trying to get it stuck on purpose.:laugh1::laugh1:

5. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks for the responsess, I looked at the ones on ebay and they look good this guy made his with the legs on the top so that it coud be retrieved and also he used copper so it wouldnt get permantly stuck they have a little give. There wasnt a mold on the market so he sent his idea to do-it and had them make this mold just for him. The idea was that with the legs on the top it would dislodge the legs and pull up, and the copper so if the sinker was stuck they would give under pressure, instead of breaking it off and loosing the whole works.His idea was to save the weight and use less weight in the current. We are going to try them out this year and see how it works.

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    looks like the jet skiiers would see it coming easier

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Never used any, but it loooks like they'll hold. Hopefully not as well as your anchor did last year when we was fishin, lmao. Thought we would never get it up, must have got under a snagg or something. Good to see ya feel like gettin around anyway. I'm fixin to get up and sort a bunch of tackle. I got tons of bass fishin stuff i need to go thru, cull and what not. Neighbor kid loves it when i clean house. My junk pile shrinks and his grows. Take care of the back dude, spring is on the way.

8. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I know what you mean John that was starting to worry me last year, thanks for the laugh. I hope the back is ready to reel in the big one this year. It is feeling better although I havent done much with it yet. Still LMAO about that anchor comment

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Those things really work.I fish the neosho which is all jumbled rock bottom and I had one sinker for several years.I could toss it into worst jumble of rocks and it wouldnt move but I could pull it right out when I got ready.Finally lost it but would love more.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yep, we use em surf fishing.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing Gary. Looks good. I hope it works for you. Keep us posted on the results.

12. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    they got um here at my local tackle shop. they call um spider sinkers too. man said they are made too hold then the legs bend when you pull um in. he told me its to hold down your bait in heavy current or surfsurge. i never bought any though.

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've been wanting to try that style sinker on the river, seems like it would hold with less lead. With a soft enough wire getting snagged up wouldn't be much worse than a regular sinker.

Last year I tried a few mushroom sinkers.. actually made for duck decoys. The hope was that they would hold dig in better on the muddy flats on the Missouri, but they held no better than bank sinkers and seemed to get hung up a little more often.

14. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    They're almost impossible to lose they just pull loose.

15. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    we use here in CA for surf fishing.