New sinker idea

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by ka_c4_boom, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i got this idea from cattbuster from across the big pond :lol: he uses rocks for weights , the last time i was at markland dam i noticed all these rocks round and oval shaped im thinking of picking some up to use as opposed to lead and we all know leads expensive where rocks in ky are easy to come by , i figure a 5 gallon bucket of rocks the size of my fist should work great for fishing from the boat casting would be tough but thats why i have a boat so i can access spots unreachable from shore .
    i can also find pourous rock to heat up and soak in blood which should absorbe some of the bloody flavor for chumming from the weight and attatch the rocks to my line as he does http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8221&highlight=pebble+rocks refer to post #4 any suggestions appretiated

2. dinkslayer

dinkslayer New Member

State:
    texas
    You may be onto something great with this idea. Chum rocks.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Did ya shoot a PM off to Stephen and let him know you liked his idea? He's definately got some great ideas and ways of fishing. Someday, I'd love to go over and catch one of those huge cats he fishes for.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You can also cut some rebar into 1", 1 1/4". 1 1/2", 1 3/4" (and so forth) pieces, then drill a hole in one end. That would be inexpensive also.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    he knows i like his ideas in my eyes he's a fish God any man that catches 200#+ fish is an idol in my book , i hope to see him when he comes over here to the states i gotta have his autograph and hopefully a pic or two maybe even get to fish with him granted the fishin would be better over there maybe some day i could make that great trip

6. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know how CatBuster does it, but I had a friend show me how. He would buy a bag of rubber bands and wrap one tight around the rock next he would tie a paper clip onto the small tag line and hook the paper clip into the rubber band. I always carry rubber bands and paper clips now and usually have an endless supply of weights.
    Denny

7. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Think this is a good idea. Although there have been tons of lead weights lost in our lakes I have never read of any harm caused by them. However we hear so much about lead poisoning in our environment I sure feel more comfortable with rocks instead of lead on the bottom of our lakes and rivers. Now: how would you attach the rocks? Rubber bands that would decompose? maybe a net that would stay secured to your line, but dump the rock when snagged. Something for me to think about. Thanks

8. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    You might like to know I have a new rubber band system in the pipelines!

But I may have to save its launch for my first Flathead.

Charles, Im glad you picked up that pebble last time you went fishing and great minds think alike as I too soak them sometimes in pigs blood, but I have found the oily ones to have gone quicker!!!!

The paper clip idea is great but sometimes I need a 20lb pebble to hold bottom!!!

The best things with smaller pebbles is that the can be attached then put in a PVA bag filled with chum stuff and lobbed out, The PVA bag melts in the water and you have a nice little mouthful close to the hook.

My geography is bad but Im counting down the days until I arrive in Memphis, I am well up for meeting the members from here especially you Charles and have just over three weeks to hook up.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    How long are you going to be in Memphis and what will your itinerary be while state side.?

10. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I arrive on the March 9th and depart April 2nd

Itinery wise I have a lot of fishing planned!!!!!!

11. Catsss

Catsss New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We use use rocks for sinker all the time when fishing in creeks. If you lose it there were plenty more where that one came from. Another thing we used was old spark plugs.

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah rocks the alnatural sinker any and every thing else just polutes the waters we fish and beleive me theres enough garbage in the rivers already