New sinker for fast current

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kscathunter, Jun 6, 2006.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I've been thinking about how to keep my bait out in heavy current and I think i might have a good one. problem is im not shure how to make it. It would resemble a cannon ball sinker cut in half were the flat part could sit on the bottom and the current would flow over. any idea how to make it or if it'll work?

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Why not do like a friend of mine does. He drilled a larger hole in his molds and puts in 4 short peaces of wire and when he is fishing he bends the wire out so it digs in like finger in the mud, sand rocks or what ever and when you put pressure on it with the rod the wire straighten out and you can retrieve it that way. Your idea sounds good but I would think that if the flat side sank into the mud it would be hard to get free. I could be wrong and hope I am but try it and see. Try making a couple in a sand mold.

3. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    why dont you use the flat no roll sinkers?

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, it sounds like a plausible idea. Gator's idea also sounds like it would work well, though. You could always make your own mold, or just get cannonball sinkers, cut them in half, and drill a hole through the side that didnt have one. That would work ok, I think. Hope this helps.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You could make a mold out of bondo car repair fiberglass. Use a ball of appropriate size. spray ball with wd40 and sink it half way in the bondo before it sets up completely, remove the ball. I made a sinker mold like one discribed in the libary. works great.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think that the lead would settle on the bottom with the round part down...isn't that aerodynamics? It seems like it would hit in the water and automatically assume a position with the flat part at the top and the round part at the bottom. As to Gators comments, they make a "claw sinker" mold which has the wires coming out of the lead - it probably would be safer to use than a home made mold. Works great in the tailraces and rivers with fast water. Believe they come in different sizes, I have the 5 1/2 oz and 8 oz mold.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    That would probally work :cool2: im kind of leary about using bondo with hot lead (burning bondo fumes):crazy: ???? but I could give it a shot. I was gonna put a swivel on the round part, carolina rig it, cast it out, wait for it to sink,then lift it slightly hopefully resting it on the flat side.:roll_eyes:

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    slip, i have a 3-5oz no roll mold so I have plenty of no rolls, the kansas river is pretty good size with heavy current though (Im stuck on the bank). I might be sol, the claws probally would work but arent apealing to me (laque of supplies, take up too mutch room in tackle box ect. If my idea dont work ill just make do:roll_eyes: thanks guys!

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    There are always pyramid sinkers too. Dont forget about those bad boys.