New Sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by mrowe84, Jun 17, 2008.

1. mrowe84

mrowe84 New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    in the market for a new bowsight. really wanting something that will accept a light. kinda leaning torwards a single pin, but not for sure. any suggestions?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Marty!! First of all welcome to the BOC. Glad to have you here. To answer your question on bowsights, there is so many to choose from. I like the TRU-GLO sights alot. They have bright pins and many styles to choose from. This year I purchased a SPOT-HOGG sight for my Hoyt Katera. Yes they are expensive, but it is one rugged sight. Nearly indestructable. My advice is to go to an archery pro shop and ask around. I'm sure you will find the sight that fits your needs and your budget!!

GOOD LUCK!!:wink:
    Mark..

3. mikebarbee

mikebarbee New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I hunt down in Texas and we don't have a lot of people using single pin sights. I do have a friend that moved here from West Virgina and he uses a pendulum sight and has a lot of problems with it. It is older but I think the technology hasn't changed much on the pendulum's.

I bought a Trophy Ridge last year with 5 pins and really enjoy it. The pins are small so they are not bunched up or hard to use. The cool thing about the Trophy Ride I bought is that it has light up pins that come in handy when I hunt from my tent blind. I don't know if this helps any but its what I use.

4. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the B.O.C. it's good to have ya aboard. I use a G-5 sight, But I've been seeing this new one in the cabela's and bass pro catalogs. It uses red dots on a screen. I've thought about trying that one myself.

5. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Last season I bought a Toxonics sight. Love it! Its a 3 pin, it has a total of 3ft of fiberoptics thread in it, absorbs light like a champ. Really great for "Prime time" when that light is very little, these sights will shine. I also like the "Dead nuts" sights and Apex. But go to your local pro shop and check them out, I can almost guarentee you will like them. I paid like $80 for mine, I dont think that too bad.

6. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome to the BOC. As far as sights go, you really just need to look a lot of them and get what you like for the way you hunt, but heres what I've seen with sights I have used or shot on friend's bows. As far as bright single pin sights, the HHA with the rehastat is the brightest sight I have ever seen. And thats with no light, I couldnt imagine ever needing a light unless its a spotlight , cause you can see that thing after dark.I shot a Trophy Ridge for a few years { so it was old and may have improved since} and liked it pretty well. I thaught it was hard to beat when hunting. The pins were pretty bright but not super bright. Oh yeah, I guess I should say that I like small pins {.019}, I think it makes longer shots more accurate when your target is smaller than your pin. What I loved and hated the most was the vertical pins. The best thing since sliced bread when shooting a deer or 3-D target because the pin post didnt cover the deer and it naturally lines up with the leg. It just seemed natural. But I hated it when shooting dots { practicing and sight setting}. I always draw and let my pin settle DOWN to my spot and release, but the pin post covered up the spot until you came down past it then come back up to settle on it. This is OK with the top pin, but at longer shots you have to move side to side to find your spot. If I could have hunted with the Trophy Ridge and practiced with something else I would still be shooting it. Maybe I shouldnt be so hard to please but I'm a firm believer in " perfect practice makes perfect". Now Im shooting a Vital gear 3 pin. The pins come up from about the 5 o-clock position so its the best of both worlds. They dont cover the deer when hunting and dont cover my spots when practicing. And as a bonus the top pin is .029 and the other two are .019. When practicing at longer distances the small pins are great and when hunting the bigger top pin draws more light. I didnt know this until I baught it but now I love it. I didnt mean to get long winded and hope this helps more than it confuses you. The main thing is dont buy one until youve looked a lot and dont let your buddies or pro shop guys tell you what to buy. Everyone shoots a little different and likes different qualities or else there would be only one sight made for everyone. Good luck and stick a biggun.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC! Lots of good info so far and I'm sure there'll be more to follow. Sorry I couldn't help you out but I'm unable to bow hunt due to health reasons. Best of Luck to you!!!:wink::cool2:

8. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love the spot hogg hogg-it. Used to shoot tournaments and loved it for that now just for practice and hunting. I'd probably rather have the hunter version just because it's shorter and lighter. I've used trophy ridge and a couple of other sights and they all fall way short of the spot hogg IMO. You can also add a light spot hogg makes for their sights.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Marty,

Welcome to the BOC hope you enjoy it

10. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wish I could give you some good advice on this but I'm an instictive shooter, start with something simple and easy to adjust and tough.

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I agree with Smitty, go with instinctive shooting. Ain't nothing to spend money on, and ain't nothing to break down. Just have to shoot a lot.

:004:

12. mrowe84

mrowe84 New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Never had even considered it really. Might have to give it a try.

13. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I like the copper john dead nuts. just my opinion.

14. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I shoot a five pin Fuse but also like Toxonics and Extreme. The housing on my Fuse is drilled and tapped to accept a light. The only problem I have had is that the fiber optic fibers stand alone and I have managed to break a few of them. To fix it I had to thread the fiber through the metal opening and then heat the end to melt the fiber enough to hold in the metal pin. When the fiber is still hot I would quickly run my finger over it to slightly flatten out the end of the fiber. The first few tries I would flatten the fiber too much which would make a large pin diameter. My next sight will have better protection for the fiber optic material. But I am really hard on my equipment.

15. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Nanny Patrol, thanks for the good info in your post. As well as the rest of ya'll. We string pullers certainly pull together. I got started in this sport just recently, but it's in the blood for good now. Keep postin the good information and I'll keep soakin' it up.

16. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I just bought my new site. I bought the trophy ridge matrix gs micro adjust. I have the old one and it was getting old so i bought the new one. IMO i like the trophy ridge style fits me well. Good luck everyone this year

17. bowhunter66064

bowhunter66064 New Member

State:
    ks
    look into HHA Optimizer sights or black gold i use both and really like them for one pin with brightness i would go with HHA

18. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I use the copperjohn dead nuts sight and there is a little lite you can buy for it. great sight. I love it.

19. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I use a Teamxtreme 5 pin sight seems to be pretty bright. It beats my old tru glo all to hell just my 2 cents:confused2: