New Shotgun

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by FishMan, Mar 10, 2006.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Today I ordered a new shotgun and afterwards I thought how stupid. Reason, I don't know much about guns or shooting clays but want to try it and I didn't think about getting advice here before buying. I hope I didn't do to bad.

Is there anything I should do to a new gun before shooting it the first time and should you clean a shotgun every time you shoot it.

It is a Browning silver hunter 12 ga.

If the gun will do the job for a turkey shoot I may try that also.

Thanks for any advice

Danny

2. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Some guys would say you should clean after everytime you shoot. I would say wipe and oil outside metal and buy a BORE SNAKE and run it through the barrel a time or two...job done. You made a good choice, browning autos are at home in the field and at the range.

3. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have a Browning Citori that I shoot about 400 rounds through a week. I wipe it down with Birchwood Casey Sheath rust preventative and spray a little in the barrels too. I usurally give it a good cleaning every 2 weeks if I remember LOL. Good luck breakin them clays.

4. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Just pulled the old girl out . Scrubbed the barrels out with Hoppe's . Love that smell. Can't wait for trap leauge to start took a year off . I got burnt out . I do have 1 tip if you don't reload go to Walmart and get the 4 pack of Winchester target loads at 13.99 last price I got I can't reload for that price!!!!!! Do they work I would have taken top gun in my leauge if for 1 bad week so I finished with 23.79 :crying: OH well if you roll your own use CLAYS it's super clean burning and the targets seem to SMOKE. GL BUSTUM

NED

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks for the advice. I went to Wal mark and bought the shells, got the four pack.
    Gun should be here anytime, I will be checking today.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I think you will like the gun. Are you going to shoot trap, skeet or sporting? That gun is well suited for skeet and sporting, not so much for trap. Have you ever shot a shotgun before? If so, you will have no trouble breaking a few clays. If not, or you want a little coaching go out with a buddy to a range and do some one on one. There is nothing worse than 5 or 6 guys all telling you how to do it 'cos for sure they will all be telling you something different. A couple of lessons with a good instructor would be money well spent if you feel you need it. They will put you right, not only on the shooting, but also range behavior and a few basic safety rules. Be careful and have fun...W

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Metalman, In my first post I said I don't know much about guns. Let me explain. I know how to use them and have all my life but that doesn't mean I know much about them. I am just smart enough to know there is lots of things I don't know. LOL. I have never been on a range or shot any type clays. This is what I want to learn and yes range behavior is important to me and I want to learn the rules of the clay sports. It would not bother me to take a lesson if thats what I need to do and as I don't know anyone in these sports I may do just that.

I picked my new browning today and feel like a kid with a new toy. The fit is really good and the black walnut is striking. If it shoots anything like it looks then I am happy.

Thanks for the information.
    Danny

8. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Danny if you plan to shoot Skeet, Trap, or Sporting Clays my suggestion is to leave your gun in your vehical the first time you go to the range.

Find the range and sit back and watch others shoot a couple of rounds.

Someone will eventually ask if you plan to shoot or not...then you can let them know you are interested in learning and that you were learning from watching them. They will love that statement and will usually bend over backwards to make you welcome and really start instructing you in the fine arts of the game.

Jesse

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Danny,
    That is good advice from Jesse. If there is a skeet range near you that would be a good place to start. Don't go there with the intention of actually learning to shoot skeet at first, but just to get some shots under your belt. You will see from watching that the different stations will give you a wide variety of shots. Coming towards you, going away, crossing right to left and left to right. Some shots will feel more natural to you than others but don't try to hard at first. A good consistant gun mount and a good stance are the key to successful shooting. Keep us posted on your progress...W

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    That is a good shotgun, great choice.

11. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Browning makes one heck of a gun man! It was a good choice and Im sure that you will be happy with it. Shoot you can do anything with it hunt, shoot clays, etc. I know you will love it. Good luck with it man I wish ya the best!

12. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Browning is always a good choice. I use to shoot trap and skeet all the time,even have a gun made just for trap shooting,its a browning BT100,love that gun.for skeet i usualy shoot a browning A5 unless im trying to get some practice in for bird hunting then i use my old beat up savage 12ga.
    let us know how that gun shoots,im sure you will like it.