New Shop Stool

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Lynne, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    I was given this for my shop. I have never seen a stool like this one before so I thought I would post it and see if anyone else has seen on and might know what it was used for besides sitting on.

It needs some cleaning up but it is really nice and solid plus it is heavey so it won't tip over to easily. The seat can be reaised by pulling up on a lever just under the seat and lifting. It will raise about twelve inches.

Attached Files:

2. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    This is another photo of the stool. I know it is quite old but have no idea how old it is.

Attached Files:

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Lynne, I may be mistaken but that looks like an old draftsman's stool. It is really a neat stool, I know I would enjoy having one like it. Thanks for the pictures buddy.

4. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Jim, I bet your right about it being a drafting stool. The adjustable heigth makes sense for that use. I have a wooden stool in the shop already but this one should be good in front of the scroll saw or maybe I'll just clean it up and put it in my old tool room.

Thank you

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    It also may be an old dentist stool. My aunt had a couple of them, and thats what she called them.

6. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    That could be to. I just couldn't figure why a stool would adjust the seat higher. It seemed to be tall enough but both drafter's stool and dentist's stool answers that.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Most of the old (and new) workbench stools I have ever seen in the military and government facilities I work in have adjustable height seats, and are round. This looks like a regular oldie but goodie workbench stool.

8. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Thank you Skipeye. I was never around many work benches in the military so that's good to know.

9. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Cant tell you what type it is but whe had several stool like that in my machine shop class at the vocational school

10. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    JRicker
    It makes a great shop stool. The lifting part is really keen and still works great. Just a metal spring loaded handle under the seat that you life up on and that allows you set set it at several different places. I'm glad I posted the pictures, I've found out a lot more about that old stool than I knew before.

Well I have to get back out in the shop, I am repairing a small rocking chair for my granddaughter.

Thank you for your info on the stool.

11. EZ Duzit

EZ Duzit New Member

State:
    Dothan, Al
    Lynne, thanks for the post, and am sorry for mistake I made in a post, Thanks for getting me streight, and yes the stool is an old drafting stool as I have one just like it in my shop but maybe not quite as old, I love it.