New Shad of 2006

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by pendog66, Aug 9, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Well i went to my usual shad catching place to get some bait. On the first throw i snatched up the line on the castnet and it felt like it was full of carp!!!!!!:crazy: But to my surprise it was full of shad 1in to 3 inches. I put them in the bucket and i was so shocked that i counted them. over 200 in one throw. I guess the shad spawn was good this year

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've been seeing small shad in my nets lately as well. They'll be thick as bugs on a bumper pretty soon...

A good hatch means good feeding which means fast growing and fat cats!

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    especially on smaller rivers. They are really thick because of the lack of Bluecats and Flatheads

4. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    dont feel bad brother.all i have caught lately is small shad.very few large shad.i use them anyway and cut them up for chum or use them alive.when i do get a big shad he is flat head bait or good cut bait for blues.good luck.

5. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i havent had much luck getting shad this year i did have one good day with the net and hit a school at top water so many the net didnt close enough to get them all have them in frezzer now and using some but latley i havent got may for live bait maybe i aint holding my mouth right lol

6. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    sure sounds like they had a good spawn, take some of those shad and put em in a 5 gallon bucket on your boat, then take a big old stick or some then and smash em up and use a little plastic cup and chum with some of the extra, if some thing like this happens again that is.:cool2:

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I had some luck like that weekend. 2 throws and I had enough bait to last quite a while.

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    ya that's great when you don't have to spend much time chasin down some bait.

Earlier this summer i went out with my father and as soon as we startin backin away from the ramp, when noticed some surface activity..i went as fast as i could and chucked my cast net and got a couple hundred 2-4 inch shad....bait for the day. :cool2:
    Doesn't always work out that way though, i spent a couple hours on occasion lookin for a school :crazy:

cyas
    rc

9. langstaff

langstaff New Member

State:
    tennessee
    good throw ,i am not that lucky