Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new here......caught some fish before.........never flathead.
I live in Northern AZ. Roosevelt is closest flathead lake. I go about once a month bass fishing.
Been reading posts in Arizona section for a little while. Thanks for the information obtained already.
Bought a flipping stick at local flee market, going to get baitcaster with clicker. Is Daiwa Millionarie OK?

What kind of line? Thinking 50 Braid or so? Do you need any special leader?

Again thanks for info already......wishes for good fishing success to all of you.

BilllyP

· Registered
993 Posts
That setup will getya started!! Till ya get the feel of a flattie,LOL!No leaders are necessary!The mono/braid argument will be around forever,all in personal preference! Main thing is gettin out there with youre line in the water with bait!!! Good luck and welcome!!:cool:

· Registered
5,458 Posts
Thanks for the Post Billy....

And Welcome to the BOC........

I have a Daiwa Milllionaire too. but use it for bassin.. It should be ok to get you started.... but as you stated.... need to get a clicker and a bigger line capacity for the reel...

If you looking for a reel.... Hook up with Greg Snagged 2 and he has some that may be what you are looking for..... and a pole as well......

Tight lines and see ya on the water..... (at Blythe Gathering)

· Registered
6,253 Posts
I live in Northern AZ. Roosevelt is closest flathead lake. I go about once a month bass fishing.
Been reading posts in Arizona section for a little while. Thanks for the information obtained already.
Bought a flipping stick at local flee market, going to get baitcaster with clicker. Is Daiwa Millionarie OK?

Again thanks for info already......wishes for good fishing success to all of you.

BilllyP
Hi Billy,
Sounds like you're off to a good start,, The Daiwa Millionaire 300's are good reels, and it should have a bait clicker on it as well,,
If you're going to use braid,, I'd suggest going on up to 80-100#,
I'd use a stout Mono leader as well..
If you use mono as mainline,, 25-30 # should work OK with that reel..
Like Brian says,, main thing is to get a line wet..!!!
Welcome to the AZ/USCA!!!!!

· Registered
3,166 Posts
i use the ming yang reels with the bass pro cat maxx 7'6'' heavy, 100 to 15 braid and no lead. i did have penn 500s (jig master) but love the mings so i am selling the penns, or should i say penn. i guess it depends on how big u wannu go$$. my set up runs about 100$ brand new and its a pretty well rounded rig. I can do small bait and big bait. Have u fished bartlett or pleasant yet. i know those lakes are closer to flag i think!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info.

Will look at suggested gear options.

Fish for Channel some up north here. They closed my closest Channel Cat Lake..Lyman Lake State Park.

This year all fish I have caught have been bass and a few northern.

Again thanks if and when I get some cat pics will post with pics of my two fishing partners(kids).

BillyP

· Banned
1,183 Posts

BilllyP
Roosevelt being the closest lake is a great problem to have! I would never fish with braid unde 100 pounds. 50 pound test will work fine as strength goes. I use 150 pound braid because the strength, but most importantly when you use braid under 80, the braid cuts into the rest of the line, and when you cast out the next time, your line stops 30 feet in front of you, and your gill, weight, hook, flies across lake because your line breaks. It is hard to describe this to you, but trust me, the thin braid is too thin, and you will have this problem eventually. This is talking about baitcasters only, thin braid works fine on spinning reels.
I guess essentially what happens is, the pressure on the line makes it bury under the rest of your line on the spool, which when you cast, makes it stop in th emiddle of your cast.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Welcome Billy to the site. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks you will be hearing increase of good fishing reports at Roosevelt. Keep a close eye on all posts now the time is right! Good Luck!
Rob, what you just stated is 100% correct. I haven't increased to 150# but just ordered some 80#. With the diameter of braid being small what is the harm of heavier test. I believe when people hear people say they use 80 to 150, they are only thinking of line test and think that's crazy. They haven't been put thru the ringer with a flathead and the things that they do to stay out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.