New Seed Catalogs

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by oh no, Dec 6, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We need to have a thread that has what catalogs are out and when.

I love looking at seed catalogs during the winter. It is a treat when the mailman delivers a new one.

So far I have gotten my HPS catalog [commercial and big garden]. In fact I have already sent them 2 orders.

Totally Tomatoes, Vermont Bean and Seed and Pine Tree Gardens have come.

I'm waiting on my Jungs and Shumway Seedsman. I need just a few more melon and sweet corn seed. Then I will have my garden seed bought.

How many of you folks order seed from a catalog?? Do you enjoy looking at all the pictures as I do???

Hey looking out the window, its 11 degrees and the wind is blowing the snow every which way. I'm ready for spring.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jim....I havent recieved any yet this winter. I purchase most of my seeds from Burpee or parks seed catalogs. Lots of good varieties to choose from. I enjoy looking at them and planning my garden before spring ever gets close. It helps with the winter time bordom:smile2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I haven't recieved any catalogs this year. Each year I get less catalogs. I enjoy looking and planning my garden in the cold months. I now buy local most of he time.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I remember momma pourin over Burpee's catalog. She started all her own plants inside and always had a beautiful garden. Made us kids work in it and at the time thought it was torture. Now i work all day and love to come home and work mine. The vittles ain't shabby either compaired to the cold storage crap ya buy in stores.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I was young it was playboy that had the honored place at the throne, now its a seed catalog. I used to sow oats, but now I just plant beans! lol :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Stokes catalog is out.......my came two weeks ago. I'm waiting on Parks to come.

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah but there is difference, sowing wild oats and praying for crop failure, is a far cry from what we do today.....the good old days.......

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I get most of my seed from Henry Fields or Gurney's, which are basically the same company. Not that I order a lot of seed. 2-4 lb's of beans, 5-8 lb's of corn and a few packets of cucumbers are about it.

9. sat93us

sat93us New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have the same one and it is great

10. sat93us

sat93us New Member

State:
    Texas
    Harris seeds is a great catalog

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    My Park Seed came a few weeks back all I got was the back cover that my address was on. Now I have both Park Seed catalogs and several others. Stokes, Harris and Burpee are all nice catalogs.

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I don't order seeds from catalogs; don't actually plant many seeds, just buy the plants. But I do love looking through the bulb company catalogs! Sometimes I wish I had a much bigger yard, & sometimes I think it's a good thing I DON'T!!:wink:

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well, ya can plan the garden, and anticipate the seeds coming and getting them in pots indoors ready to transplant in the spring.

By the way, how was your garden and raising food for others last year?

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My garden did pretty good. The Food Bank really appreciated it. I'm hoping to have more for them this year.

15. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep, got parks and Gurneys a few weeks back. Didn't have much of a garden last year. Just the basics. Spent more time out in the woods last year digging up wild gooseberries bushes and some huckleberry. Will find out this year if I transplanted them correctly.