New SeaArk won't start

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by sgt_rob, Oct 22, 2006.

1. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I picked up my long-awaited RiverCat Friday. The dealer had ran it Thursday with no problems. I got it home, installed hot batteries and ran into a problem. The motor will tilt/trim from the switch on the motor but will not tilt/trim from the controls at the helm. It also will not start or even turn over. I pulled the wiring harness conector apart at the helm and couldn't find any voltage so I started at the battery and followed the wires to the starter; found 12V. A lead drops of the starter and goes to the fuse panel; all fuses are good. The leads then drop into what looks like a computer then into a wiring harness. I pulled the wiring harness connector apart in the motor and can not find any voltage. Any Ideas?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Rob, what engine are you working with?

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Take it to the dealer and make them get it right!!! Digging into some of that stuff could void the warrantee on it!!!

4. beeverfishing

beeverfishing New Member

State:
    pa
    Absolutely, Take it back to the dealer. You do not want to mess around with something that is (should be) covered by warrenty. It doesn't take much to void a warrenty. Any indication that you tried to "fix" the problem could cost you good $$$ in the end.

5. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Bob, it is a Suzuki DF140 4-stroke.

6. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Problem solved. The wire that feeds the computer was connected to a different battery. I'm not sure why, but it didn't like that. The batteries are identical and both are hot. Once I connected the computer lead to the starting battery, the tilt/trim and starter operated. Weird huh?

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Not at all. I doubt you had a ground connection between the second battery and the engine -- the ground for the engine comes from the negative starting lead; any other circuits for the engine need to be on that same battery.

Glad you got it figured out.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It seemed like something obvious. Yup, Suzuki's have a ways to go with their wiring. It could be simplified, but it ain't.

They might have plug in's for the gauges by now. Last Suzuki's I rigged, were a nightmare compared to other engines.

Your going to love that rig

9. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    No ground, yep that makes sense. I'm going to love it? Too late! Now I have room for the kids without worrying about getting swamped.