New scale at Roosevelt Lake

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Sep 24, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I can't imagine this scale is for flathead fishermen.
    * I bottomed it out with a 66lb flathead.
    ~ Had to drive out 10 miles to pick up a scale from a boat mechanic to weigh my fish...

Here is a picture of it with a 27lber I caught in it.

Attached Files:

2. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Andy,

Is that the "certified scale" that they have been talking about? I can't believe that that is what the big talk is about. I thought the hanging scale that was in the background of one of your other pics was the certified scale.

I think the Game and Fish needs to rethink their ideas of what a certified scale should be at Roosevelt. I am hoping that one of us BOC guys will break the flattie state record and then we will need a big one to weigh in on. That dinky little thing definately won't work.

Ryan

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks Bro,
    I'm glad someone responded to this....
    * The one my fish was hanging on is a rusted old spring scale my buddy had to drive out to the nearest boat repair shop to pick up..

^ Roosevelts "Certified scale" is made for bass fishermen. Not us cat chasers..
    Or maybe they got it so weigh out hamberger patties or something...
    Needless to say, I was expecting much more from all the hype.
    Thanks!

4. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    Andy after seeing your 27lb. on the new scale i would have too second your WHAT A JOKE. That scale is not for cat fishermen, once again the game & fish cater to the bass fishermen. Kevin

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I spoke with Kirk Young from the AZ game and fish today about this scale...
    ~ He said he bought the Marina a 120 lb scale. and it should not have bottomed out at 60 lbs..
    ** I sent him the photo of the scale so he can determine if the marina either picked up the wrong one, or needs to be trained on how to use it properly.

~ Either way, the scale situation at Roosevelt should be getting resolved..
    ~ He said he was definently thinking about the cat fishermen when this was installed.

6. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Wow, I'm glad you got a straight answer, it blew my mind that they wouldn't be thinking of flathead fishermen at Roosevelt. Either way, the AZGFD Fishing Regulations booklet lists a bait shop (forgot the name) on the 188 between Globe and the lake as having a 120lb certified scale, if you needed to get a fish weighed. Glad there are people in the department thinking of us.

7. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Andy,

Thanks for the info. I hope that they can get that resolved. It is awful hard to transport a state record flattie from Roosevelt to the bait shop outside of Globe and keep it alive.

Ryan

8. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Martinman, teach me something here. Isn't it illegal to transport a live fish from inland waters (with the only exception being minnows, crayfish, and bluegill for bait)? It is my understanding that there is a separate set of "Catch and Release" records to eliminate the need to weigh the fish (weighed fish not being eligible for the C&R record) if you intend to increase a CPR'd fish's chances to survive, but I'm just reading out of a book, and my interpretation could be backwards.

9. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Read the reg's more in dept, they are hard to interpret. As I have run into the issue of transporting live game fish, yes!!! IT IS ILLEGAL!!! As far as bait fish at least my interpretation is that they have to be caught in the body of water that you are fishing.

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I can certainly tell you one thing... I treated that fish like it was a fragile piece of china. She was never out of the water for longer than a minute. Anyone who was there could attest that when released, she kicked off and swam for deep water.. She was very lively when released and there is no doubt in my mind that it is still alive and well.

I did weigh the fish, and it was close.. Could it have gone over 70#?? Maybe, I don't know, it was close.. If I was certain it was going to get me a record I would have harvested it. Killed the fish and taken it to be weighed on a scale that was not rusted together. But I wasn't, and I really wanted that fish to live, but a state record or even a lake record wasn't worth that fish's life if it was going to be too close to call..

As with any record fish, accusations will fly and rumors will surface...
    ~ I sure hope it gets posted and added to the list. But if it doesn't make it because of some F'in tree hugging hippie wants to take it away, then fine.
    I will get over it, then go and catch another one.

11. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    HaHa, I thought that was funny about the tree huggin hippies. When a Teacher's Assistant in my Biology lab saw a picture of me with my PB flatty, she freaked out, asking me why I would want to do such a thing. Those people don't understand that we, fishermen, have the most to benefit from the wildlife being around, being our passion, and NO ONE, especially not the hippies, do more for the conservation of aquatic wildlife than fishermen. I really was just asking about the regs, it would be total BS if you didn't get a record for some technicality, but apparently you said it was official, so that would be good news. The record says "catch and release", and you caught, then released the biggest fish recorded. Plain and simple.

12. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    First off...Andy, you make me happier each time you post because I see more of your cool personality come out in your posts...your an alright guy!!!

Listed below is what I understand of the regs for record fish...

As far as regs go, some states have such strict requirements that it is almost impossible to get into the record books, i.e. Georgia State Record Flathead caught earlier this year. The fish would have never been able to be released because you have to take a dumb lie detector test. In the State of Arizona, from what I understand, you have a Catch and Release section and an "official" section.

In Andy's case, even though it wasn't a big enough for to break the state record, he still gets it listed under Flathead catfish - Catch and Release...for the year, and also to date.

If one of us were to catch a 80lb Flathead from Roosevelt or somewhere in Arizona, the only way we could get it listed under the "main" section of the State Record Fish is to have it weighed on an official certified scale. As well, the AZ Game and Fish have to be present to verify the weight of the fish. Because there are no certified scales (that we have seen) on Roosevelt, the fish would have to be transported to another location to be weighed.

As far as transporting fish, the regs say that you cannot transport baitfish from one body of water to the next. I am sure that the Game and Fish would say that you could not transport a catfish from one body of water to another, with the intent to keep it alive. They would say that you would have to return it back to the "native" body of water in order to keep it alive.

Final note...I am glad that Andy put his fish back into the lake...First, because I plan to catch it someday, take a picture, and put it back. :lol: Second, because it shows others that we enjoy the sport and care about what we do.

Ryan