New SC State record flathead catfish (developing) - Canal Lakes

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill in SC, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Peen Slammer is on the way to the boat dock at Canal Lakes with what he thinks is the new SC state flathead record. Story is developing...

BB in SC

2. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Thanks & Keep us Posted :big_smile:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I meant Penn Slammer. Mis-typed in my excitement. Will post follow up soon.

BB in SC

4. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    What is the state record ?

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Currently 79# 2 oz.

6. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    What is penn bringing in? weight

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I don't think his scales go that high, but he has the proper officials awaiting his arrival. I just called him back and got no answer so maybe he is weighing it now.

BB

8. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    That's awesome; I hope there will be pics!

9. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    The suspense is killing us all man..... I can't sleep till I know.....:wink:

10. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Wishin him luck from Missouri...:big_smile: Keep your fingers crossed:eek:oooh:

11. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Well I think this is the topic of the day. I hope he breaks it. GOOD LUCK from HUSKER LAND!!!

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    this was not a hoax, but it turned out that the fish was 68 pounds. :-( Those big wide flatties can be deceiving, and I was worried that it might not reach the record. Oh well, the record is still VERY accessable! Sorry to get everyone's hopes up, but when I talked to him on his way in, he said to go ahead and post it up as a potential record. Still a NICE fish in anybodies book!

Bill in SC

13. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Well, Bill, here's one for you to look at. All I have is a scan of the original picture, and the quality isn't so great.

This is Ricky Granger, holding a 103 pound flathead he caught. And I'd bet Jimmy Johnny would like to know where it was caught, being as it was in his water. (Hartwell) :wink:

Attached Files:

14. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Aww, that's disappointing, but that's still a good fish in anyone's book! I know I'd be happy to catch it.

15. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    I wanna apologize. Got up this morning and read back over this thread and realized I must have already been asleep when I posted my reply last night. This is a thread about Penn Slammer's fish, and HIS moment in the spotlight.

A 68 pound flathead is a HOG of a fish!! And he deserves congratulations for it - they sure don't come every day!

So, I just wanted to add: Way to go, Penn Slammer! Congratulations on one heck of a fish.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No need for an apology GatorT. Big fish news does tend to get all sorts of thoughts goin'.

BB

17. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Congrads to you Penn Slammer ,that a great fish ,wish i could catch one any where near that size .

18. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Bill, the canal is a place to break records. The Flathead record was broke twice in the same yr on the canal. I thought the record was closer to 90, though. I'll do some research. Thanks for the news, 68lb is a giant that anyone would love to claim. Congrats to the guy that got'em

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    79/4 Dean.

http://www.aa-fishing.com/sc/south-carolina-catfish-fishing.html

That's why I say this record is very accessible. There's a pile of flatties out there that exceed this record. That's why so many folks are chasing it. Yessir, there are some HUGE fish that frequent the canal. The fish last night was caught on Moultrie, but weighed in at canal lakes. Richie (Penn Slammer) lives there.

BB

20. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks Bill, i also found this, i was fishn Santee a lot when all of this took place

Jessica Preston of Gilbert caught the current state-record flathead on May 11, 2001 while fishing in the Diversion Canal with her dad, Dean Preston. The giant flathead, which the Prestons actually teamed up on to land, weighed 79 pounds, 4 ounces. David Butler of Forest City, N.C., had caught the previous state-record flathead only a month earlier, also from Diversion Canal. His fish weighed 77 pounds, 3 ounces.

My day will come.:smile2: