new rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kentucky chris, Aug 1, 2008.

1. kentucky chris

kentucky chris New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yesterday I made the switch from spinning outfits to baitcasters. I got a new 6500 c3 and right now it is on an OLD masters 7 ft rod. What would be a good affordable rod for this reel?

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    check out basspro or cabelas graphite musky rods. $70 or less and great rods

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on your change over to baitcasters and the new reel. Check out the BOC sponsors for some great rods to match up to that reel.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If you're on a budget, the Catfish Ugly Stick rods are about as good as $30 will buy.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree. They're a fine rod for the money and will go good with your reel.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would talk to Randy with Black & Blue Tackle. He has some really good affordable rods.:crazy:

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    one more vote :0a27:

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Do you have it on a casting rod?How does it do on the rod you have it on?What kind of shape is the rod in?How are you going to use it?Some of the old rods are great and cherished by many.You may have a treasure or you may have garbage.

The reason that I ask is that I could never answer such a question without knowing your wants.I could only tell you what I like for my kind of fishing if I used that reel.Boat or bank?Some like to Catfish,some like to bait cast with artificial or natural bait for Large Mouth or Striped Bass.Some wish to use it for all.It does make a great big difference.Many like specialized or fish specific rods.Many like utility rods that can be used for many things.

These are the questions that I ask myself before buying any rod.I acquired many wrong rods in my 63 years before I started to do this.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This is a timely post for me. Last week I found a ABU 6000 that I bought in the early 70's but misplaced for years. I was just gonna ask what would be a good rod for this for fishing from a boat. Sounds like the Ugly Stick would be a good choice for a reasonable priced rod.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    The ugly stick catfish is a good match for a 6000 for the boat it matches the reels performance and size perfect. for the bank a 9' king kat is also a good pair the king kat is longer and eaiser to see at nite unless shine your light on the top three eyes of the uc to make them glow for a while.

11. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I agree,the ugly stick is a d@mn good rod for the $.i purchased 1 for a temporary rod for my 6500c3 and i think i'm gonna keep it.even been throwing a 10-12oz weight with it plus bait

12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    ugly stick or cat claw by egale claw both or good rods for the money i also like the tidewaters by shakespear but there are serval good rods out there you just need to find the one that fits your needs:wink:

13. Louisiana Redneck

Louisiana Redneck New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I use the Ugly Stick when I can. A good inexpensive rod.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with you too!

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Chris,welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats a big 10-4!! On that one Walter!:smile2: rollo

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    First off, welcome to the BOC.

I'd say that if you want a good rod for the price a Berkley Big Game rod is a good one for around $20. It'll work fine in any almost any lake situation and in moderate current. Especially the 7ft model. It's a little more stout to handle some more current but I have the 7'6" ones and I like them just fine.