New rod

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ron h, May 28, 2007.

1. ron h

ron h New Member

State:
    st peters mo
    well got my new uglystick and blackkat reel all together. went out fishing and guess what? spent darn near all day undoing birds nests. i think i will practice a little bit more before i go out again

2. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Know what you are talking about when I think I have it down here comes a big birds nest to let me know who the boss is. had a friend tell me and it seems to work when you cast out keep the tip of your thumb just on the line on the spool follow it down as it comes off the reel. hope that helps you some

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    No worries Ron, a man that can pick out a crows nest in 1 minute or less is deemed a "catmaster". LOL. Two things probably caused your grief. First, your line was new. Did you prestretch it? If you were using mono it would help you out to tie your line to a fixed object then walk out about 100 yards worth while keeping some tension on the line. Then reel it back onto the spool keeping tension on the line. Monos have memory and the first time or two you use them they will want to return to there original state, in your case that leads to a nest an eagle would be proud of. We've all been there.

You might need to set your reel brake properly for the weight you are using. You should have a round dial or small knob on one side of the reel or the other. This know allows you to place tension on your spool even when the spool release is pushed. If you have that brake set properly, when you push the spool release button your bait and weight should make a controlled descent to the ground. If it falls quickly and the spool makes a small backlash, you have it set to loose. Practice with the reel brake set fairly tightly. As you get good with it, you can loosen the reel brake and make 50 yard cast with ease.

NOt to worry, as with happens with all of us, once you get really good with it, everynow and then you'll try and make a huge cast to some far away nice looking little cranny, and end up with the mother load of bird nest.

If it makes you feel better, I've been slinging baits with open face penns and baitcasters since I was 4. Just last week I bird nested a reel so bad I had to burn it off the reel with a torch. :embarassed: I hit part of my boat with my weight when I was throwing forward and the rest was history. LOL. That birds nest cost me 40 bucks worth of PowerPro. Good Luck.

4. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jeff and Cuz offer great advice. Baitcasters can be a bear at first. I taught my neighbor how to use one and he could birdnest a zebco 202 if ya know what I mean.

best thing to do is set the spool tension like Cuz said, so the bait and rig fall slowly to the ground and the spool stops when the rig stops. THEN, give it just a touch more tension.

learn to let your thumb lightly ride the spool and after a little time you can ease of the tension and make longer casts.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ron, I'd been using baitcasters most of my fishin' life and still get the occasional birds nest...:wink:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

6. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    those guys gave u great advice that & practice!! let us know how the blackcat works outs

7. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Don't feel bad when I got my first baitcaster three years ago at 14 I was awful. It took me forever to finally get good with it. Now I get a few birdnest but not manly. It takes alot of practice and time to really get it down. I just went in the back yard with a egg sinker and threw it out til i finally got use to it.:cool2:

8. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Ron you might try not throwing it hard until you get used too it:lol:

9. Trent_V

Trent_V New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Practice is the only way to learn, and these posts are very helpful. I just started baitcasting last year and I'm just now gaining confidence. Baitcasters really are the best when you learn to control the power. Keep on chuggin!!!

10. ron h

ron h New Member

State:
    st peters mo
    thanks for all the replies and the advice you good people gave me and i will try my best to get er done. i will let you know how things turn out soon i hope

11. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    hey ron good luck on your baitcaster. i went through the same thing go in your back yard and keep tring till your ready to hit the water. once you get it down your going to love it

12. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    "SIMPLICITY" is the word of the day! I'm a catfisherman not a B.A.S.S. Queen. My favorite combo is this...Abu Garcia 6000 reel on a 7 foot med-heavy Berkley Lightning rod with #20 Cajun Red Line.

1) This is the stuff

2) I have never adjusted this reel except for drag. I don't care if I have a 3/4 oz. weight or a 6 oz weight. It makes that nice high pitched whine,. spewing river water all over your face off the spool, like you were one of those Japanese school girls in a bukake video!

3) Eagle's nest....never, not even the first time I cast it!

4) Last year I vacationed at Table Rock Lake, my cuz showed up with his 18ft tri-hull, at about 40ft deep I pulled up tree longer than the boat and almost as thick. With out even a raised eyebrow...I knew my rig could handle it.

5) What the hell were those things like jellyfish out of the Pacific growing on the tree??? They reminded me of discarded silicone titties, about a DD cup!?!?!?

6) I'm drunk now!

I hope this helps some one..if not...slap me with a frozen trashfish!!

13. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't tell anyone, but it has a bait clicker too!

14. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    if ur not birdnestin once in awhile, ur not fishing right lol

15. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Oh! I have a Flugler reel that I can't cast even once with out a birds nest. Sunday I had to cut all the line off the spool cause it was so bad!!

16. backedde

backedde New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have been using bait casters for 10 years and i get back lashes too but i wouldnt change my rod and reel set up for nothing. i have 7 foot pennrods and i use garcia 7000.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i do real well with mono but i just started using braid on some of my reels.I take 3 reels with me and fish them 1 at a time.when i backlash 1 i just reel it in and put out another 1.when i get home,and in the daylight,i undo the backlash.been using level winds for 50 yrs.