new rod time

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Nov 19, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I'm sure this has been posted and answered a thousand times, but I couldn't find any consensus. What's the length and weight of a "normal" catty rod. I don't want to take the fun out of a 10lber, but I don't want to have to release from the anchor on a 40 lber in moderate current.

These striper and lake trout rods have run their course. 6'6" med. heavy ain't going to cut it.

Thanks in advance.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Check out The Rod Shop. I've been using their rods for the last year now, and in my opinion are about as good as it gets.

I'd recommend the John Jamison Blue Cat version in a #2 action.

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I was checking them out on their website, but couldn't find it....How much do those rods run Doug?

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I have heard good things about those rods and they have definately been proven on catching big fish. I would like to have one some day. I have been looking at the Surge elite rods and they seem to be a great rod. I cant find them online but I have seen Gary's and Cuz's and they have a real sensative tip with a good backbone. I think they will do the trick. I think the elites run for around
    $90.

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    If you're like me, $90.00 bucks for a rod without a reel is a little expensive. I can get a Catmaxx rod-n-reel combo for that price. All of my fish have been caught on a Catmaxx combo, even the big 'ol hogs! I can't complain because they have always done the job for me!

6. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm partial to the Surge Elite Rods, they make 2-3 types of tips, one real stiff for the River, one medium tip, and one light tip you could use mainly for drifting. Tombstone around here sells them around 70 bucks I believe, if you buy or need a new reel he'll even do a combo deal for you. Adam is a good dude.

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I would either go with the Surge Elites, or the Catfish Safari rods. They are both excellent rods for under $100.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm a die hard surge elite fan. The kitty's sold me on them this past month :smile2::roll_eyes:

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    7'6" - 8 foot is a good length for a cat rod. As far as the action goes well that just depends on what size lead you throw at them. If it's a 10 pounder I want to be able to turn him in a hurry and get him in the boat with no problem. As far as what rod you want. That depends on your budget! I just picked up 3 new catfish safari rods tonight. The safari rods are way better then the surge rods I own. There not as flimsy in the tip. Which has cost me to many fish in the past.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Which action Surge's do you have Josh? My Heavy action surge's are perfect for using 16 ounce weights at the dam, but I've found the tips are too stiff to use 8 ounces in all the other areas. The Elite series rod's have a little bit lighter action in the tip, which works better with the 4-12 ounce weights. Do you have a lighter action surge? I'm not real familiar with their entire line of rods, so just curious what they have out there. congrats on the new rigs. May you catch many-a-hog on them. :wink:

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I would also say 7'6" - 8' in med/hvy action for the norm.
    Gotta agree with a lot of these guys on the Elites and Catfish Safari rods. I have them both but prefer the Safari rods as they are better made, better materials and they both run about the same price 80.00 aprox.

12. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    just got me a set of the catfish safari lake rods. i agree they are some really nice well built rods. haven't had the chance to get them in the water yet but friday hopefully i can test them out. If you are looking for a nice rod Check Steve's catfish safari rods out. he has a few to choose from.

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i would definatly look into Catfish Safari rods. That has to be the beefiest rod in my arsenal. It is stout enuff to almost take the fun outta 5lb fish, but my first good fish on mine was 30lbs 8oz, it worked great for that. I did not have to fish current just the fish. I have the Lake version, if you need big weights and fight hard current get the River rod. I casted 8oz with the lake rod and it worked great. Seemed to load for the cast perfect. Steve from Catfish Safari will help you if you have any ?'s
    definatly look at his site

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    If I'm gonna spend 90.00 for a pole I'll go to Bass Pro and pick up a Penn 220 gto and Penn rod combo.. Of course if I do I'll have to sleep on the couch this winter... hehehe

15. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Atleast your still inside on the couch and not out in the barn or water in your boat! :smile2:

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Steve just got his new on-line tackle store up and running it's located at http://www.shop.catfishsafari.com/main.sc

17. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I dont know Earl. My son is holding very firm on his Mickey Rod after he read your post. He has all kinds of custom rods from my collection to choose from and still prefers the Mickey model. Maybe you two will have to have a fish off someday to prove it!

18. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Game ON Dude! He accepts the challenge. Any idea what the record Blue and Flathead is for them?

19. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How about Rat, Harold and Kutter being the judges then?

20. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks.. thats his favorite bait.. We will have to plan this one for sure.