New rod & reel...need new line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Mr Twister, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    I just got a couple Abu 7000's and I think I am going to match them with a couple quantum big cat rods. I am targeting large flats and som blues. I fish the missouri river so need heavy weight...I try to fish snags behind the wing dams. What size and type of line would you use. I currently have 50# braid on my poles now...braid vs. mono? how does diameter of Berkley Big Game compare? What do you guys think? Thanks

Eric

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i would recommend using 60lb power pro and use a mono leader about 50 lbs test i hope this helps

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I like Power Pro myself for a main line and then use a lighter mono line for the sinker.

ST

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bluecatnut has a good suggestion. Depending on just how heavy you want to go, you might also want to consider 80# PowerPro and 60# mono or flurocarbon leader. You won't be able to cast quite as far with the heavier line, but it will provide more abrasion resistance in the rocks. It just depends on what suits your need the best.

5. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    60 # power pro will do ya good, you can pull trees out of the water with that stuff...

6. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Have to agree with the power pro line, bought 100 lb. power pro and was going to put it on my 7000c3's decided to put it on my 2 PENN 320 Gt2's instead. I think if I do put it on my 7000's I'll probably put either 50 or 60 lb. power pro on them or 25 lb. Big Game Line.

7. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    Spiderwire Or Powerpro 65#