New Rod Rack

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by MoMudCat, Mar 27, 2009.

1. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I finally got around to making a new rod rack for my boat. I wanted it strong, but I also wanted it to be removed easily (kids tubing, bowfishing, ect). I installed two new seat bases (still haven't painted them yet) on the back deck of my boat. Took two seat posts and conected them with a piece of 4" aluminum channel. Added some rod holders. Works great so far....and one hefty tug on each end, straight up, and it is out. Sorry, the only pics I have are in my yard!!:embarassed: I know I can fit one more in the middle, two might be a bit tight.
    Just thought I'd share
    Jim

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jim I like your work...

Pro looking job for sure :wink:

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    How do they connect to the boat?

4. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Thanks Paul,
    It is just a seat base and pedestal on each end. I just push it down on each side and it kinda clicks into the base. At first I was going to go with the screw in type but then it wouldn't be easily removed. I was worried about it accidentally coming out at first but you have to pull really hard, STRAIGHT up to get it to budge, so I don't think it is going anywhere. I had it out on the Mississippi on Monday, and if ever it was going to fall out, that would have been the day!!!!!!! That was the roughest I think I have ever been on the river!!!:smile2: I was also worried about painting the aluminum, so I went through to whole degrease, sand, prime with self etching primer, and paint. I guess time will tell if I did it right.

Jim

5. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Great Job, I like the idea of using seat pedestals as uprights. :cool2:

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Great looking job Jim. I think you will be happy with it.

Tom

7. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

State:
    copan ok
    Great job, I like the use of the seat bases so they can be removed quickly, I may have to try that system on my toon,
    lwest

8. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    good job , I like how that looks , I might have to build some like that myself .

9. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Very nice.Would you mind if I stole the concept for my personal use?

10. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    NOT AT ALL!! That is why I posted it. I have gotten many ideas from BOC members on here. Couple of details. The only problem I ran into was securing the aluminum bar to the posts. I started out using well nuts to attach it. Didn't work. The rubber gave too much and my whole rod rack tilted a bunch when loaded with rods in heavy current. Back to the drawing board. What I ended up using were concrete anchers (the long ones)that took half inch diameter lag bolts. I put them in the top of the seat posts and then drilled a hole at the bottom of where the anchor was and used a roll pin to pin the anchor to the post, just through one side of the sleeve so it would still expand. (Not sure it need to expand with it being pined and all). Then I used a inch and a half lag bolt to secure it all together. Don't know if this makes any sence, it was eaiser to do then explain!!! I'm sure there are many ways but this is what I came up with.

Jim