New Rod, New Reel and a nice channel catifsh on the Grand River..

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by KewlBird, Aug 11, 2007.

1. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    Well I spent some money on a new Abu Garcia 6000 and an Ugly Stick Catfish rod. I went out yesterday afternoon on the Grand River to test it out. I had one minnow and nightcrawlers. I put the minnow on the new rod and crawlers on the old rod. Half an hour later the new rod is loading up (yay!!!). This was one agressive cat, it really didn't want to come up. When I pulled it into the boat it managed to bite me and scratch my thumb up to the point I was bleeding. I strung it on a rope and put it in the water, it constantly kept jerking the whole boat till I was ready to take it out. It wasn't a huge channel cat but definately was a wild one. It measured 23" and 4lbs. There were also couple of suckers that I got on the crawlers, and no other cats. I was on the water for couple of hours only. BTW, the Grand is up by about 2-3" compared to last week. It is still very low.

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing your fishing trip and for the pics of a nice channel. Also congrats on the new equipment. Should perform well for many years.:big_smile:

3. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    that guy will give you some good fillets for the grill. Did you get him above or below Grand Rapids?

4. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Sounds like a pretty nice trip, THanks for the pic.:0a31:

5. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    upstream of knapp. And btw, it was delicious

6. Rizzo

Rizzo New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Way to go brother! Sounds great for as low as our water has been.:big_smile: