New rod - Mono or Braid?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I'm taking an Ambassaduer 6000 off of an 8' Catfish Ugly Stick spooled with 50lb PowerPro, and putting it on a 7' Catmaxx rod. Although they're both mh action, the Catmaxx seems much stiffer an the Ugly Stick. I'm wondering if I should try to compensate for this by respooling the reel with monofilament (to give a little stretch to my rig) or just let it ride. Whadaythink?

Jon

2. Krieger

Krieger New Member

State:
    IL
    I have always had the best luck with braided, it have never faild me when reeling the big one, the only thing bad about that little extra stretch is that you mite get to much strech and rip the bait rite out of the fish's mouth. Good luck with the new pole!

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Keep the braid.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Why change something thats working for you?

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Should you put mono on the reel, you are going to lose line capacity unless you go with the mono equivalent of the braid you are currently using. You are also going to lose casting distance.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If it works don't change it. Stay with the braid. If needed you can add a mono leader.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    If the braided line work for u, then use that.