new rod - How did I do?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Lil Grinder 20, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Lil Grinder 20

Lil Grinder 20 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Let Me N on your thoughts

2. Lil Grinder 20

State:
    tennessee
    just got a new rod off ebay . its about 5'6'' heavy action(saltwater rod) do you think it will be ok for boat fishing..

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

who makes it and what kind of reel does it have, or are you putting on it?

4. Lil Grinder 20

State:
    tennessee
    i also bought a osprey open face reel for it ..it doesent realy say who makes it all it says is tiburon stick( &specs) 1 piece rod.. i want to put a nice large open face reel on it but i dont know many brands that make reels large enuff to hold 25 lb test...i found the osprey on ebay also ...but i havent heard alot of good things about the osprey brand

5. Lil Grinder 20

State:
    tennessee
    thanks 4 the welcome..... jus trying 2 find a good outfit for a boat in swift waters ...wanting 2 get in2 the 30-50 lb range so i thought id need a rod that big.....

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can find many nice reels by clicking on our sponser catfish connection at the top of the page.

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    why isnt the username typed in english? huh?

8. Lil Grinder 20

State:
    tennessee
    :glare: its typed n english ...its just a little fancy ....sorry :p

9. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    It's all what you feel comfortable with. I have a 10' Condor South Bend rod with a Goliath South Bend reel on it with electrical tape as a backing. Then it's spooled with 600' 65# test Tuf-line (braided). I then put a 3-8 ounce no roll and heavy barrel swivel on the main line then attach a 18-30" 40# test mono leader with a snelled 5-10/0 circle hook. Then I bait this with shad gut packs and heads. This rig in my home made PVC pole holder works extremely well for most bank fishing. For fishing on the boat I use similar rigs but they are only 7'6" rods.

10. Lil Grinder 20

State:
    tennessee
    thankz 4 tha input...im wanting 2 go with a nice built /strong/ spinning reel
    jus cant seem 2 find any ...i also want 2 make another combo with a 8'0 uglystick/& a spincast reel...jus dont know the spincast reel either....can yall help me?

11. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I haven't used spin cast in a long time but my favorite back then was the Zebco 888.

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hate to promote them but , if you have a wallmart near by try the sporting goods section and look for reels on the wall. Shakespeare has many spincast reels available that will hold 25lb line. They carry more than shakespeare you might even find a good mitchell reel which is what I have and works great. Just remember you don't have to spend alot of money to have good fishing gear I am a prime example of this.

13. Lil Grinder 20

State:
    tennessee
    thanx 4 tha input .....ill be checking my local wal/k mart& sporting goods stores...