New rod holders for my boat

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by snooker_hooker, Feb 17, 2007.

1. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    made this the other day after seeing one like this on tv. they sell for $190 and they are called fold and troll. only thing is mine does not fold. here are some pics.
    i am ging to try this out and i might bend the rodholders back 40 deg. cost $20 including the used post. it does mount into a seat pedistal.

Picture 013.jpg

Picture 023.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That is a pretty nice looking rod holder rack you made there. What kind of materials did you use to make it? Looks like something I could possibly use in my boat.

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Looks like it would work to me.

4. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    my buddy and i were working on making the same kind of rod holders i saw them same style on a boat going to the lake. this guy used a long piece of aluminum angle and drilled holes and put actual rod holders on it and i told my buddy if we plan on hitting a lot of tournaments this year we need something like that:wink:

5. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    all aluminum weight is 5 lbs. i know i needed some thing like this and i will not pay 190 for it.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I think you've done a good job, Nick, but I'd make one suggestion, other than laying the rods back at a 30-45 degree angle behind the boat. I would suggest adding something on the holder below the bar to keep that holder from turning if a big fish pull the wrong way. One bolt through may not keep it from swiveling on the bolt. Maybe a screw-type hose clamp or something similar as a stop? Just a suggestion, you may have it secure enough already.

7. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    ok, i was going to use two small straps to the cleats on the transom to keep it from spinning. i am going to make another one next week. trial and error. i guess.

8. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i did not know where you ment tommy. after looking at the photo i know now.
    the bolt has a square end just uner the crown then it goes through the aluminum square stock to a washer then a 6 in stainless tube then a nylock nut. that was hammered into the post. it wont come out i have tryed. the part that swivels is in the base. i will try some new things but i will use 2 straps for now.

the next one will be angled 45 deg down. and will have 5 rod holders.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    When you guys get this refined and finalized, I'll put it in the library for you. Very good thread that shows how we can all help each other with projects like this.

10. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i will have the final here in a week or so. ill post some pics all rigged and ready.
    the one i have now i will give away to who ever want to pick it up from me.

11. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i made the new rod holder this morning. i will post pics this evening. i will put the details along with the pics.

12. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Looks good Nick let us know how they work.

13. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i just installed the rod holders. 1 1/4 aluminum tube 60" wide. rod holders are 14". bolts are 3" ss. main bolt is 8" with a stainless sleave that just fits in the whole with a nylock nut. angled this time to 45 deg. i will use 2 1" straps to the cleats to keep it from spinning in the base.
    Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

14. Big Cat Dad

Big Cat Dad New Member

State:
    Montana
    berkley quick set is the key.