New Rod and Reel

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by TDawgNOk, Mar 5, 2006.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, better late than never!!

My wife put a new rod and reel in lay-a-way at walmart for my birthday. It is an abu 6000 rod/reel combo. Not sure exactly what rod it is, but it did say Abu Garcia on the rod as well as the reel.

Now I just get to spend LOTS of time practicing with it once we get it out of layaway.

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Tony, she bought you a "B@$$" combo!!! LOL!!!! Those reels are on a medium one piece rod. I looked at the same thing, but in the long run just bought the reel, and bought a rod from Catfish Connection.

Good luck with the B@$$ Tony.

Ray

3. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Nice Tony. It shouldnt take you too long to learn to cast it. Ur gonna have that thing for a long time and your gonna love it!!

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tony you got a very fine reel indeed..Now the rod, well I am sure it will do ok for now...Good luck with the new outfit.

5. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    ok, what weight/type line should I use for this thing?

How do I adjust it??

since it's a combo, it didn't come with "instructions"

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I'd say go with 17-20lb mono, and go with the lure weight reconmendation on the rod.

Ray

P.S. Had to tease about the B@$$ rod:p

7. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ray,

Its ok, after I get the casting down, I will probably use it for sandies too!!

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Tony...I have two Amb. 6000 reels. One is set up for boat fishing...spooled with 30 lb Trilene Big Game Hi-Vis line...rigged on a 7 1/2' Heavy action St. Croix flippin' stik. This rig is for short distance casting...such as anchoring in front of the spillway at the local dam, and casting a live perch, an 8/0 Gamakatsu circle hook, and a 3 oz pyramid no roll sinker no more than 20-30 yards or so for Flathead or Blues up to 40 lb or so.

The other one is spooled with Power Pro 50 lb Hi-Vis braid line...and is mounted on an 11' Predator medium action rod that I use for wade fishing the riffles below the dam. This rig is used for simply dropping a weightless #2 treble hook with a piece of cutbait or a chunk of gar or spoonbill eggs into the water at my feet...and allowing it to drift downstream with the current.

I have several different combos that each have specific applications. What line you decide to put on it...depends on what you plan on using the combination for.

The medium action rod that came with the reel would probably be fine for up to medium sized channel, flathead, or blue cats...but since you don't get to pick the size of the fish you hook...in order to head off a bout of depression after losing a fish of a lifetime due to a rod that can't handle the fish...it might be wise to eventually upgrade the rod to something a little more durable.

A good happy medium line to use on your reel would probably be 20 lb test or so. There's alot of good brands of line out there...but it's hard to go wrong with a monofilament such as Trilene Big Game or P-Line Extra Strong.

If braid is your bag...then Power Pro or Stren Braid is some good stuff...but keep in mind that braid line is not a magic bullet. Braid is expensive...and it's hardly abrasion resistant in the rocks. It also tends to cut into itself inside the spool if it gets looped or tangled. However...it does have its place as a useful tool under the right conditions.

While learning how to cast a baitcaster...IMO it's best to use monofilament line...because there will be inevitable backlashes. Mono is a hundred times easier to untangle after a backlash than braid line is. Take that piece of advice for what it's worth...and trust me...it's worth alot in this case.

Set your spool speed with the round knob on the left side of the reel. Set it so whatever it is that you're casting falls downward at a slow rate...not allowing it to go too fast and cause a backlash when it hits the floor after you push the spool release button on the back right hand side of the reel.

When first learning how to cast the reel...use a fairly heavy sinker tied onto the end of your line...such as a one or two oz. bank sinker. It's easier to cast a heavier object without getting a backlash than it is something lighter.

When you cast...press the release button...and with the same thumb you just pressed the button...put it on the spool to keep line from releasing prematurely. When you cast...keep that thumb on the spool...allowing the spool to spin...but not too fast. Your thumb acts as a clutch...or a brake if you will...to keep this from happening.

No matter how good the advice...or how much of a natural you are...this will be a learning experience. You are destined to backlash...and you'll probably at one time or another end up cutting the line off the spool in frustration...and re-spooling because it's easier to do so than picking out the birdsnest. I'd have to say that it's happened to all of us who use a baitcaster at least one point and time. Perhaps more than once...lol.

You also have a line out alarm on a model 6000....better know as a "clicker" or a "dual drag". It's the switch on the left side of the reel that says "on" and "off". After you manage to get casted out...reel up the slack...and push the switch to the "on" position. When you get a solid run by a fish...the spool will slip...causing the alarm to make an audible click. Simply turn the handle...and the clicker is then disengaged...and the spool is in direct drive. You'll need to switch it to "off" in order to make the clicking noise stop as you reel in.

Good luck...hope this helps.

Brian

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tony, I would say that Brian really covered the situation well. The only thing I have a slight difference of opinion on is the line weight and the pole. If it is a bass pole, it probably will perform better with 12 or 14 pound test line. It is not so "bulky" the reel won't cast it. You can just put a leader on it to counter-act the chaff and abrasion you'll get fishing for cats. Secondly, is the pole. It probably is a light to medium weight bass pole. But there are a lot of "sportsmen" who use ultra light poles and line to catch large fish. It is up to you to handle the situation... to apply pressure at the appropriate time, to slack off and let the fish run... these are things you learn by loosing a lot of fish and tackle. BUT once you get it down reasonable, you are gonna have some fun.

10. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I looked at the combo myself but had a cashflow problem at the time. I believe it was on a med hvy ugly stick 6'6" (I think). I have been catfishing for years with my B@$$ rigs and have never had a problem. Now I generally don't hunt the 30 lbrs with them but a Ugly stick will take a beating. As Awshucks said, let the reel fight it for you. The abu is easy to adjust the drag with a fish on and once you get the hang of it you are going to love it!

When you get the birdsnest in your reel be gentle getting it out. If you ever pull hard on the knot you might as well cut the line and respool. In 10 years of fishing open faced reels I have only had to cut twice. Go slow getting it out.

Good luck you are gonna get some good ones!

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    my 2 cents worth. use a quality mono to start with . dont go for distance at first .let the distance come with experience.good luck oh 1 more thing one some feels the drag ajustment can effect the spool speed when casting.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    TD since your outfit didn't come with instructions I would highly recommend you go back to the recent post by our old friend H20 MELLON and his ABU 6500 problems.That should provide you a perfect set of instructions of what NOT to do with your new reel anyway.Sort of reverse engineering if you know what I mean.:) :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey tony,
    You should be able to call, write, or email abu garcia and they will send out instuctions to you. Or at least they used to.

14. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    make sure your drag isn't tight when you put it away can cause the drag to go out alot faster.