New rod and reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CarolinaCatJack, Nov 13, 2008.

1. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Alright y'all....Couple of quick questions. My birthday is Saturday and my wife handed me $100 today and told me to go get what I wanted. I went out and bought a brand new rod and reel. The rod is a 7.5ft MH Shakespeare UglyCat and the reel is a Shakespeare Tidewater, which I spooled with 30lb mono. Did I make a good choice? I do a lot of different types of fishing, from drifting and anchoring on the boat, to bank fishing by the river. Is the line too heavy for this reel? The reason I'm asking these questions is because this is my first baitcaster (ever). I've always used spincasters, religiously. I recently went fishing with some of the SC brothers and I noticed that they all had baitcasting reels. Was this a wise decision? I'm holding on to the receipt if it wasn't....LOL. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    once you get the casting down, which sometimes can take a little practice when you first start out with a baitcast reel to avoid the dreaded backlash. I think a heavy test line can help you avoid that. I think it was a good choice, now go catch a new PB with it and show us all some pics:wink:

3. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Hey Ray, thanks bud! I've got the casting down. Comes from the dark days when all I did was bass fish and throw jigs for crappie with my brother-in-law (he only uses baitcasters and never would let me bring a spinner on his boat). As for the PB, I've got a trip I'm gonna take with a couple of SC brothers soon. I've already been told that I need a new avatar. If you wanna take a look at my current fish, they're in my album in my profile. Or you could print them out and use my face for dart practice.....Don't matter to me!

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Put your usual weight on your set-up and tighten then spool tension knob down until your set-up stays still when you push the button, with the button pushed and your set-up at a stand still LOOSEN the knob slowly until your set-up go's slowly to the ground without backlashing.

Keeping your thumb near the spool, repeat the process until your set-up hits the ground and your spool unleashes just a turn or two of line and comes to a stop..

Go out in the backyard or in a field and cast it with your thumb slightly above / touching the line as it is on the fly,When it gets near the landing point smoothly apply light pressure on the spool until it lands and stop spool with your thumb..

If you do this a few times , Loosening/ tightening the knob slowly to your likeing / feel of things without backlashing and you will be casting that new reel like a pro in no time! I guarantee it:wink::cool2:

Good Luck With your new Set-up Bro.. Kenny

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    Flamekeeper told you right,,,, It'll work,
    I'd say you made a good choice, you should have a nice set-up with what you got.
    Good luck with it,,,:wink:

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I still have a couple my first baitcastinreels there shakesphere 30lc...Now I am a Penn fan but .caught alot of fish off of them Spheres and still break em out here & there ...man are they beat up too ...I like em think ya did good!

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Here is some advice about the Tidewater. I will say that I have 8 of them and really like them all, but the tension adjuster is not the greatest because the cap is too big. Get yourself a small piece of 1/8 inch (maybe somthing a little thinner) plastic and cut a piece that will fit inside the tension adjuster cap. This will give you a lot more control and almost eliminate any backlash

8. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va

if you can throw a crappie jig with a baitcaster, you'll have no problems throwing 8oz. weights plus chunks of bait!

i have alot of spinning outfits and like them all, recently i have some conventional reels for my big setups.
    i think the conventionals handle big baits, weights and fish really well, feels like more torque than most spinning outfits.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm not a fan of the Tidewater, Matt. I guess once you learn on it, you may wish to move up to Abu Garcia for "Pure Fishin'" pleasure. I could lie, because I like you, but then you wouldn't be getting an honest opinion from me.
    Bill in SC