New rod and reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by stickusmc, Jul 10, 2007.

1. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    just bought me a new rod and reel. pretty cheap wally world special

got me a berkley big game 7' medium heavy and a shakespeare alpha a150

all together it cost less than 40 bucks lets see if yall think its any good???

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don;t know "nutton" about either,but I wish you the best and am looking forward to your opinion and/or review of the rig.Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For the money the big game rod is a good deal, I do like the ugly stik a little better, but they are a little more money. I've never had that exact reel, but I've had good Shakespears and not so good ones. But most importantly, go fishin, have fun and let us know how they work for you.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    After you fish with it give us a post to let us know what you think. Sometimes economical gear will work better than wallet busting expensive gear.:0a22:

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Those berkley rods are good ones .. never had that kinda reel before ...but all that matters is you having a great time.

6. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    That should work great, what kinda line you usin?

7. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i have a berkley big game rod.its a good inexpensive rod.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thats a pretty good rod bought one for my nephew about a month and a half ago. Wish I would got one for myself. For $20 bucks its better than some of my other rods. The action is almost just right cant beat it. Havent had it for long so cant comment on durability and such.

9. codey72

codey72 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :cool2: thats cool:cool2:

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I have a couple of the Berkley Big Game 7'6" casting rods, and they are great. They cast very well win Abu's on them and they seem to handle fish fine. I like the flex in the rods as I use circle hooks most of the time. Should be a good rod for ya especially for the price.

11. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    I bought a used big game 7' med action rod with a wcc555 south bend spinning reel about 2 years ago i've never touched it besides new line every spring. I spool it with braided line and its good for the year (for me thats about 100 trips). I'm pretty hard on my rods and I can say that its tough. The only other rods that seem to hold up to my standards are Ugly Sticks. Keep in mind though I'm too cheap to spend more than about 40 bucks for a fishing pole. good luck, Chris

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive got 2 of that same set up been using them for about 3 years and they work fine.ive never cought a fish over 20 lbs.on them yet.i tend to use them when fishing for channels.

13. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    used my setup for the first time 2 day caught a couple of pounders and hauled in a big old log. so i would have to say that it is going to hold up nicely

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris congrats on the new equip. and the money you saved. Should do a good job for you. Keep us posted on performance.:smile2: