New rod and reel limits?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Vekta, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    Hello all, this is my first post. Thought I'd get right to the questions.

I plan on putting together a new rod & reel combo. The combo will pair a 7’ Penn Mariner Boat Rod with a Shimano Charter Special TR 2000 Lever Drag and 300 yards of 20 lb. test Pline CXX.

I fish mainly off river and slough banks but my fishing trio have been going to reservoirs, lakes, and the occasional costal pier. The bodies of water we’re fishing now have fish that get a lot bigger than the small sloughs I used to fish almost exclusively. I’m finding myself under gunned in more and more situations with my old Spinning combo.(6’6”Shakespeare Sturdy stick w/ Daiwa DF 100) I just can’t keep up with the rest of the group on reservoirs and Lakes with casting distance. The new combo I mentioned above is also a sort of self-reward for finally learning to use a baitcast reel.

[FONT=&quot]Given all the places I’m fishing now, in which situations would be pushing the limits of my new soon-to-be combo?[/FONT]

If it helps answer the question here is a link to the Penn Mariner Boat Pole Specifications. Thank you for your time.
    http://www.pennreels.com/images/mariner_boat.jpg

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never fished in Cali before so I don't know rules/regulations.

Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people. Good luck catfishing.

Just a friendly note, Might want to check the rules on your avatar.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well with that combo i dont see any fresh water fish winning so you wont be under gunned. be careful how you set your drag because i believe that reel is capable of 33# of drag wich would snap your 20# test your planning on using pretty easy and the fish would win, You can pre set this ammount. as far as keeping up with casting distance with your buds you better be darn good because lever drag reels dont have a cast control they have a very free freespool. i dont know what reel you learned on but id guess it had some kind of cast control. id suppose a heavy oil or light grease on the bearings would help. i might try packing mine with grease this year for casting big weights.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good morning, you certainly won't be out gunned with the combo you are choosing, however... that is a level wind reel & you do lose some casting ability in comparison to the NON level wind type.

HTH, Elliot

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a18::0a25::0a25::0a25:Ron Welcome to the BOC, from Illinois.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC

7. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    Thanks all for your patience.

Yeah I have notice the lack of any kind of cast control on the Charter Special. I have a while before I'll be able to put it together. Luckily my father has a really old Pflueger Capitol sitting around unused. The thing has been in my dad's closet since before I was born. It's got no cast control to speak of.

I learned on a few different baitcasters. Some had a lot better cast control than others. I started on a Shimano Corsair-backlashed on that a few times. I played around with an old Quantum EX 501-backlashed on that alot at first. I got to play around with my dad's 6500 C3 abu and couldn't backlash on that if I tried. *shrugs*

Hopefully I can get the un-assisted free spooling caster down.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC...from Western Kentucky

9. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    You've selected a trolling reel and a boat rod for your combo. You're setting yourself up for some frustration if you plan on doing any distance casting. It's an exellent choice if you will be fishing from a boat and doing a lot of drift fishing or anchoring within 30 yards of your target.

However, if this is the combo you want it will definately handle anything you are likely to run in to. :smile2:

10. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    It's the reel I came up with by a process of elimination. I'm open to suggestions. I've considered the Abu 7000 c3 which costs more. The charter was pushing it price wise to start with. It also has the line capacity I'm looking for. Braided lines aside, it hold 300 yards of 20#. I looked at a few reviews of the different reels as well as forums, combing for as many opinions I could find.(there were a lot as you can imagine)

One particular review I recall took place off the cost here in Northern California. They were casting diamond jigs for Ling Cod. Yup, they did test it trolling and mooching but they did some casting with it to. Again I'm open to suggestions.

Here is the review if you're interested:
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocharterspecial.html

11. Relocated-Yankee

State:
    Goldsboro
    Says it can toss (not cast) heavy jigs with no backlash. I'm still thinking you will not be happy with the casting performance of this reel. JMO Also read the review on the rod, it's solid fiberglass. Not a good choice for casting, great for winching in big fish.

I think an Ugly Stik (big water, custom, tiger, etc.) will be a tough proven rod that can cast well, lot of options there. Reels to look at Tica, Okuma, Daiwa, Abu, Penn. There should be a casting model in your desired price range and line capacity. 320 yds of 20# tet line should be more than you'll ever need.

Just my opinion, only just started cat fishing, been using casting reels for over 40 years!

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    If casting distance is one of you objectives, you may want to look at a longer rod also. 7' rods are not really considered a long casting rods when bank fishing.

13. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    I took a look at more Penns and found the 330GT2. They seem to have a reputation for not being as smooth as an abu but built like a tank here on the forums. I don't know how I missed this one last time I was looking at Penns but I think I'll take your advice Relocated-Yankee and go find a 330.

I took my dad's old Pflueger baitcaster, stuck it on my 6'6" sturdy stick boat pole and went off to the grass fields near my house. Good gawd. I let that weight fly and had to walk from home plate at one baseball field and nearly into the outfield of the the second baseball field on the other end of the lot to dig the weight out of the mud.

My thumb hurts from doing it too many times...it was fun.:smile2:

A 7 footer may not be ideal for long range casting distance but if that test was any indication of what I might be able to do even better after moving up in rod length I think I'll be sitting pretty good. It's the one part of my combo I'd like to keep.

14. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Ron welcome to the BOC as far as a 7'0 foot rod goes i can cast mine with a shimano reel as far as needed so i agree with you on the rod length

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you dont mind not having a level wind you might take a look at a peen 500 cast master.

16. Relocated-Yankee

State:
    Goldsboro
    You should check out the 220 GTO. Compare the specs to the 330 GT2, I've never cast either one of these reels, but it looks like the 220 GTO might have what you're looking for at a better price than the 330 GT2.

:0a26:

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats because pflueger is the s#!% they have just what your looking for:wink: contender g30 320yrds of 20# and smoothe as a 6000 abu for the same price. way smoother then the 220gto plus the 220s dont seem as well built. If the penn 320 gt2 is of the same quality as the 320ld than it should be a pretty smoothe oprator and a d@# fine reel. okuma makes some value reels that for the price cant be beat classic 300l, 320yrds of 20# for around $25 not the smoothest reel but i havent broke it yet, 5yrs and several 30#ers

18. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    I have considered a non-level wind. I might look for one to see what I can find. It's not off the table. Thanks for the input poisonpits.

I've compared the two a lot in the last hour or so. I think I'll have to go handle both the 220 and the 330 and see how they feel. I've read a few places that the 220 ball bearings are exposed somehow. I'll have to Google that one again.

From The Penn Web site the difference I see are obviously price and line capacity but the 220 specs just say "stainless ball bearings" while the 330 specs say "sealed stainless ball bearings".

Thanks for all your input .

19. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Ron if your set on a shimano look at the calcutta reel's they are not cheap but they are all you'll ever need in a reel!!!!!:wink:

20. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    lol, me getting a Calcutta would be the equivalent of me scoring a date with Heidi Klum. Her husband would probably object. :smile2:

It's between the 330 and the 500 Jigmaster now. I've pretty much eliminated the GTO.