New river?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by striperman, Sep 20, 2007.

1. striperman

striperman New Member

State:
    va
    Does anyone does any good catfishing in the new river in this area between radford and Fries Va?:confused2:

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I haven't fished New River for Cats in years. We use to catch some decent cats there several years ago. Nothing over 30 inches but it was still fun.:big_smile:

I would be interested in learning some good locations on New River. We fished small mouth during the day and cats at night.

3. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Striperman,
    I live in Radford and grew up fishing the New from Claytor Lake dam downstream to the WV line. I've only fished above the lake to Allisonia and the Foster Falls areas. I've wanted to do some fishing around Fries and Ivanhoe but don't know of any access points in those parts. When I'm on the New I'm primarily going after smallmouth bass. There's supposed to be some excellent walleye fishing around Fries. I've caught a couple of smaller muskies but no big ones. I've seen some biggun's, man they're scary when they get that big. The smallmouth bite is turning on now with the cooler weather. I'll be hitting the river this weekend.

mike in SW VA

4. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I got so excited talking about the smallmouth action that I forgot to tell you about the catfishing holes. Sorry 'bout that. There are plenty of good flathead spots between the dam and Radford. There are a lot of old downed trees and undercut banks. There are several small islands where they stack up on both the upstream and downstream sides. There are a number of bridge pilings. There are good numbers of channel cats as well. A lot of guys fish below the dam where Little River feeds into the New. They mostly catch channels but every now and then someone reels in a big flathead. There's a boat ramp nearby and a bait and tackle store that sells decent sized shiners. There are now 3 boat ramps in Radford that let you get to deeper water without tearing up a lower unit. Some of the best fishing holes, unfortunately, are within the Radford Arsenal property. You are not allowed to anchor within this stretch. You have to continuously float through or the guards come after you in a zodiac. The next best stretch is the Eggleston area where some of the deepest holes are found. Some have been measured up to 80-plus feet deep. Some nice catfish come out of there. Hope this helps.

mike

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    ...and to think that I used to tube that area and didn't even know what catfishing opportunities existed! :roll_eyes:

6. mcpsbus53

mcpsbus53 New Member

State:
    Va
    HAs anyone here tried to fish at that location on a Sunday morning?? Looks like The Tech Divers have taken over that Ramp I undersatnd the Game Commission has given it back to VDOT due to complaints that the Divers didn't have aplace to dive. What a mess:sad2:

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Don, What ramp are you talking about?
    Chip

8. smith11

smith11 New Member

State:
    virginia
    the boat ramp at peppers ferry/114 is going to be closed for a couple of weeks sometime soon so they can put a barge in to start the construction of the new bridge

9. mcpsbus53

mcpsbus53 New Member

State:
    Va
    I understand the Divers dive there on Sundays Wished I had known they would be there weekend before last thyey're not very frendly toward fisherman I didn't even start my motor up to get back to the boat landing used my trolling motor only so I wouldn't cause a problem they were still very unfrendly. That's too bad I belive money from our fishing license built the ramp. But the State gasve it up rather then fight with these folks.