New River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by photocat, Dec 20, 2005.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Any body fish it? i went a few years ago w/ a scout camp i was at but didn't really go for catfish even though they were apparently in the river... ummm anybody fish it? i want to go back this year and see if i can't find some of the spots we fished... one had really good smallies and i even had a muskie on but i have no clue where exactly it was or how to get back to it... also they never specified what kind of cats were in it... i know claytor has Flatties in it so im guessing thats whats also in the river.... If anyone can give me any help i'd appreciate it... :)

2. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i live about 20 miles from the new. there are flatheads and channel cats. my favorite spots are below claytor dam and around rt 114 bridge.

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    The new is an excellent place for BIG smallies. I fish it doing float trips during the summer months. Below claytor is a good place to go as well for flatties and channels. The new river is a very healthy river as you can tell when you see the fish specimens that river produces each year. The VDGIF website has information on where you can fish or put in small watercraft.

Wheelmobile07

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've seen some really big Blues(50+#) and a lot of Flatheads from 20#-35# in the New River near Blacksburg while SCUBA diving.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That would be a pretty cool experience to see some monsters in their habitat down below!

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    50+ blues that is amazing, I would love to go scuba diving in the New to see just what lurks below the surface.

Wheelmobile07