New River

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Steelheadmaster, May 19, 2009.

1. Steelheadmaster

Steelheadmaster New Member

State:
    Christiansburg, Va
    Well I went out all day today fished the mouth of the Little river and the mouth of Toms creek on the New river. Sun up til sun down. I fished live bluegills, live 3-4" rockbass. Dead bluegills, dead rockbass. Injured bluegills and rockbass. Fished some stink bait, fished some dead baby shad from wal-mart, fished some livers, even nightcrawlers. I ended up going 0 for 0, not even a sniff.... Both areas looked very productive. The mouth of Toms creek in whitethorn I would have to say seemed right on the money for a place to wack some fish. The creek looked around 4 feet or more deep where it departed into the New river. Lots of cover, about 10 yds upriver from the creek there was a big log jam providing a very unique seam in the current. Lots of big branches and snaggy items on the bottom, bridge pillars 20 yds up the creek, lots of really good looking holding water, but I couldn't buy a fish... There were tons of boats around, so the area may be one of those heavily pressured spots, not sure how cats react to heavy fishing pressure??

Any thoughts??

Bobby

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Seems like a Cadilac spot to me. Lord knows you threw everything but the kitchen sink at them. There has to be some local boys that know that part of the river that can help you out. Keep after them. I am surprised one of those big new river smallies didn't grab a brim or one of those toothy muskies!:big_smile:

3. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Keep triing though, it could have just been tough. The flatheads you may have to pursue more at night. Expecially with the spawn for flatheads going on right now it can make it a tough bite. But like Pguy above said, cant belive a smallie didnt crash your live baits or even a channel cat. Those store bought baits are best left in the store. It my have just been a tough day. But with flatheads, they will feed during the day, but you basically have to go to them, they wont move much, and you might needed to put your baits up in that log jam. Bait place ment for flatheads during the da is key to success. But hard to do from the bank excpecially the new river is way to dangerous to wade, expecially in those areas. But Both areas you fish are good.. Deff. try little river at night, and ive seen that joint get crowded on the weekends, your weekday/night fishing should do better and less crowded. You had the right baits. Live bluegills, should work for those flatheads. cut bluegills, livers, or a gob of worms should catch a few channel cats aswell...

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Our best Flathead guide over here on the James is Mike Osterlander. He floats the rapids at the fall line in Richmond in a big rubber raft. I see him all the time in the summer. Promises and delivers a citation every trip or a freebie trip. He is not in business to give away trips. A seminar I attended that he taught, he said as Travis said. During the day you have to put the live bait on his nose. Mike does and his clients nail the big flats. Sometimes as many as ten or more and every single one is caught in the daytime. Have fun and good luck.

5. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Mike's good for those cats in the day. He floats and fishes the deep holes for flatheads. I've fished with him in the winter for blues, but not for flatheads. We talk several times, and we've talked about the flatheads and we both agreed, like Pguy said you have to basically hit them in the head during the day. Move your baits often and dont sit to long in one spot...

6. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Fished the junction of Little River and New River lastnight and did't get a bite. Friday night I fished all night at the head waters of Claytor Lake and missed one good bite just after dark and went 0 for 0 the rest of the night!

7. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear about the shutout, I know it all to well. May have to wait a few weeks till they have their babies.
    later